Post Your Medical Wings!

John Cooper

Both with standard rivets and LGB-STERLING incised markings, however one style caduceus is hallmarked, the other is not.

Neat wings Russ,

Here is a photo of a USAF guy wearing what looks like the bottom set of wings. This picture likely dates from the late 50's. I doubt he is old enough to have been a flight surgeon during WWII. But if you look closely, the snake's heads are more horizontal in orientation.

Patrick

post-1519-1314476582.jpg

Here's another silver Balfour-made Flight Surgeon badge using a different style wing...and a third type of caduceus.

IMG_2616_crop.jpg

Hi everyone!

Here's a beautifully feathered Flight Nurse wing with a blue "N" I found a reference to it in "More Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens" by Maguire on page 149. It's marked Vanguard NY Sterling and has 2 flat, sterling clutches.

As a point of interest I also came across this blue N" Nurse Corps device by BB&B. I wrote to the Army Nurse's Corps, historical section and got a nice reply from a Major who said she had no info on such a device, but surmised the BOS device was issued in the 1930's.

I'd welcome any comments!

Best to all,

Joe

post-48324-1314481888.jpg

Comparison shot of all three Balfour-made badges. Are there more variants out there?

Rusty,

I just wanted to say those are gorgeous, I never tire at looking at Balfour wings. I have a modest collection of them, but the Flight Surgeon still eludes me! Thank you for showing the different patterns, it really helps! :thumbsup:

Joe

Hi everyone!

Here's a beautifully feathered Flight Nurse wing with a blue "N" I found a reference to it in "More Silver Wings, Pinks & Greens" by Maguire on page 149. It's marked Vanguard NY Sterling and has 2 flat, sterling clutches.

As a point of interest I also came across this blue N" Nurse Corps device by BB&B. I wrote to the Army Nurse's Corps, historical section and got a nice reply from a Major who said she had no info on such a device, but surmised the BOS device was issued in the 1930's.

I'd welcome any comments!

Best to all,

Joe

FlightNurse.jpg

Joe, you've posted a couple of beautiful pieces. The blue enamel is stunning. I believe the wing is a post-war USAF transition piece, hence the blue "N" instead of brown enamel or silver. Thank you for posting.

Russ

This might be more trivia than the average wing collector cares about, but I know we have several avid BALFOUR collectors out there who might find the info useful. This morning, while comparing and contrasting a recently acquired Flight Surgeon wing with coffee, I noticed the L.G. Balfour Company used at least two different styles of caduceus and two different wing patterns when producing their distinctive riveted medical badges. Note the subtle differences between the two caduceus on these two silver LGB hallmarked Flight Surgeon wings.

Russ a great post to read on the weekend! I consider the 2nd type caduceus to be on the later versions of the wing based upon the construction of the wings and the differences found between the gold and silver versions. That being said the 3rd wing you posted looks to use the same wing that the Bombardier \ AG wings use. This could be something that was jeweler customized... I will have to see if any other FS wings from other makers used the same caduceus. If done at the factory this would require them to have a 3rd variation of the center device and I wonder if that would have been cost effective?

I would like to here the opinion of cookieman on this.

PS your GOLD FS is stunning!

Cheers

John

I haven't read through this thread to see if my question is already answered but I assumed that the flight surgeon wing was reserved for medical officers. I just aquired from a local family a photo and wing and a few papers. This lot belonged to a relative of the family I got it from. Notice his rank of airman third class.

post-2609-1314488905.jpg

post-2609-1314488919.jpg

post-2609-1314488932.jpg

Joe, you've posted a couple of beautiful pieces. The blue enamel is stunning. I believe the wing is a post-war USAF transition piece, hence the blue "N" instead of brown enamel or silver. Thank you for posting.

Russ

Hi Russ,

Thank you for the information, it really makes sense that it is a transitional piece. I've often wondered about it, your input is really appreciated!

Best wishes!

Joe

Russ a great post to read on the weekend! I consider the 2nd type caduceus to be on the later versions of the wing based upon the construction of the wings and the differences found between the gold and silver versions. That being said the 3rd wing you posted looks to use the same wing that the Bombardier \ AG wings use. This could be something that was jeweler customized... I will have to see if any other FS wings from other makers used the same caduceus. If done at the factory this would require them to have a 3rd variation of the center device and I wonder if that would have been cost effective?

I would like to here the opinion of cookieman on this.

PS your GOLD FS is stunning!

Cheers

John

Thank you John for your input. I had you and Cookieman in mind when I posted these wings. The silver Flight Surgeon wing illustrated at the bottom of my last image has the standard rivets normally seen in a Balfour produced wing, however the bottom rivet does not completely penetrate through the back of the wing. During the war, I suspect the Balfour company not only produced their own caduceus, but also purchased those attachments from other sources in order to fill the order as quickly as possible.

Here is a SFS

SFS_WEB1.jpg

SFS_WEB2.jpg

Very nice! John, your silver Flight Surgeon wing is sure in prestine shape! I found the full-size silver LGB version was much more difficult to acquire than the more plentiful gilt version.

Very nice! John, your silver Flight Surgeon wing is sure in prestine shape! I found the full-size silver LGB version was much more difficult to acquire than the more plentiful gilt version.

That is true Russ but I am not sure why... maybe the GFS was just more popular even after the change?

• 3 months later...

Since nothing has been added to this cool thread for a while, I thought I would bump it back to the top

with the completion of my Amico Type I Flight Surgeon Trio.

Top 1 5/8" Cap size (early hallmark)

Mid 2.0" Shirt size (late hallmark)

Bottom 3.0" Coat size (early hallmark)

Best, John

post-12439-1323649914.jpg