Post Your Medical Wings!

John Cooper

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up this 1950's Amcraft style badge which I thought was a little unusual. It's "STERLING" marked, but no other hallmarks.

IMG_2015_crop.jpg

Very nice Russ - I think what is interesting is the fact that is uses the correct symbol as the center vs. the double serpent version.

Cheers

John

I've posted these in another topic area a while ago but here are the only pair of medical wings I have at the moment; shirt-sized Flight Nurse wings. I got the wings, along with the nurse's nursing school pin as a group back in mid 2010. According to the individual I got these from, they belonged to Dorothy Sudemeier Hill, late of Fort Collins CO.

post-1107-1298130712.jpg

post-1107-1298130724.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an interesting flight surgeon wing on a WWII uniform. This came in to a local gun show that I was set up at this past weekend. Notice that the round "target" area of the wing is flat rather than the design of an observer. But on the back it appears like an observer.

post-2609-1299627310.jpg

post-2609-1299627320.jpg

John Cooper

Interesting - it appears this was a conversion to a FS wing based upon the photos and what appears to be evidence of the heat source on the front of the center area and the reverse of the caduceus.

John

BG Malcolm C. Grow, chief flight surgeon of the Army Air Corps from 1934 to 1939. In 1949 then MG Grow was appointed first Surgeon General of the United States Air Force.

Any idea what that device is he is wearing on his right?

post-4542-1299841988.jpg

post-4542-1299843511.jpg

Great picture of Gen. Grow, Cliff. I don't know what the device is but I think the General was an AMICO man...(from the USAF database)...

post-3515-1299875058.jpg

• 3 months later...

Those are some beautiful wings. I don't know all that much about wings but thanks to you guys I am learning. Thanks for posting them and letting me get to see those great wings.

Here are a few in my collection. Nothing special but they are medical.

Dennis

USAF Chief Flight Surgeon

post-2843-1308777042.jpg

• 2 months later...

This might be more trivia than the average wing collector cares about, but I know we have several avid BALFOUR collectors out there who might find the info useful. This morning, while comparing and contrasting a recently acquired Flight Surgeon wing with coffee, I noticed the L.G. Balfour Company used at least two different styles of caduceus and two different wing patterns when producing their distinctive riveted medical badges. Note the subtle differences between the two caduceus on these two silver LGB hallmarked Flight Surgeon wings.

IMG_2610_crop.jpg

Both with standard rivets and LGB-STERLING incised markings, however one style caduceus is hallmarked, the other is not.

IMG_2613_crop.jpg