Post Your Medical Wings!

John Cooper

Thanks for the sweet editions John and you are right there have been few medical wings posted. I will need to change that... wish me luck in 2012.

John

Since nothing has been added to this cool thread for a while, I thought I would bump it back to the top

with the completion of my Amico Type I Flight Surgeon Trio.

Top 1 5/8" Cap size (early hallmark)

Mid 2.0" Shirt size (late hallmark)

Bottom 3.0" Coat size (early hallmark)

Best, John

Hey John,

I know you love "the hunt" as well as I do, so keep your eyes open for one more tiny Amico hallmarked Flight Surgeon wing to add to your terrific grouping. I assume it was designed as a civilian lapel wing or sweetheart piece as it's only 1 & 1/8 inches wide.

Russ

IMG_2695_crop.jpg

post-4927-1324632902.jpgpost-4927-1324632920.jpg

I have not got into bullion [yet] but these came my way cheap.

Any danger these could be right. I did not like the look of the back . 2 maybe 3 types of bullion thread pluss the black cotton which I have read is not a good sign.

GRAHAM

• 2 years later...

This thread was started by John Cooper six years ago and is very worthy of being revisited. Please feel free to share images of your Flight Surgeon and Flight Nurse badges here.

Graham's last post was a very nice bullion Flight Surgeon example. Here's a variant bullion example. Possibly British made? Or maybe CBI?

IMG_4841_crop.jpg

Thanks Russ. I have been wondering about that wing of mine for a couple of years now. I always thought the snakes looked a bit week, not as nice as the one you have posted that's for sure. Still glad to know you think it is OK.

Thanks, Graham

This thread was started by John Cooper six years ago and is very worthy of being revisited. Please feel free to share images of your Flight Surgeon and Flight Nurse badges here.

Graham's last post was a very nice bullion Flight Surgeon example. Here's a variant bullion example. Possibly British made? Or maybe CBI?

Very nice Russ you do not see too many bullion variations.

John

• 2 years later...

It's been awhile since we've seen any new additions to this informative old thread. If you've recently acquired a Flight Surgeon or Flight Nurse wing, this might be a good thread to share your images.

I picked up a Meyer pattern Flight Surgeon badge identical to Paul's example illustrated back in frame #22...

IMG_00941.JPG

Here is a SFS

SFS_WEB1.jpg

SFS_WEB2.jpg

John, that silver LG Balfour flight surgeon wing is one that I have perused the offerings in our avocation for a long time to acquire. It is exquisite, unique, rare and beautiful. Well done my friend

• 9 months later...
wartimecollectables.com

And another 'odd duck' Command Flight Surgeon. Command pilot wreath on an A.E. Co. Gold FS

post-93-0-58806300-1507417587_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

One like this may have been posted previously in this thread, but I don't see it now. It is similar in pattern to some others, but the feather details are much more crisp on this one than on other similar pattern wings I have or have seen. It is almost as wide as a Lampl/Juarez wing with a 3-7/32" span.

post-96854-0-78543000-1579809583_thumb.jpg

post-96854-0-83425300-1579809610_thumb.jpg

And here is the back.

I should add that the wing is just silver in color. My photos may give the false impression that it is/was gold but that is just my poor photography skills and lighting.

post-96854-0-12051300-1579809697_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
5thwingmarty

I believe examples of these were posted previously along with their 2" Acid Test marked Flight Nurse siblings, but the backs of the Flight Surgeons were not shown in that previous post.  It is my belief that these are a Robbins pattern.

Flight Surgeon fronts.jpg

Flight Surgeon rears.jpg

• 1 year later...