1st Sgt. 1902 through Vietnam

mikes militaria

Thought I would post some of my 1SG chevrons and try to add to the herd

Attached Images

resized_DSCF3865.jpg

Those are nice! I like the off-white on OD with the sideways lozenge, and the subdued pin-on with white plastic backing. I have several of those, but lack the 1SG among others.

What are the colored ones for? Are they military? I'm not familiar with them. I have some of my Dad's Wentworth Military Academy stuff and the stripes are off-white on maroon like the SFC stripes in the upper left corner.

Colors on old chevrons indicates branch of service. There are several threads on the forum that discuss old Army chevrons from different time periods and this will explain the different color combinations.

Colors on old chevrons indicates branch of service. There are several threads on the forum that discuss old Army chevrons from different time periods and this will explain the different color combinations.

I'm familiar with branch colors on chevrons, but thought they stopped doing that well before WWII. These are 3-rocker First Sergeant stripes in branch colors. Am I completely wrong and these are for post-WWII dress blues, or are they police/military academy? How about the off-white on maroon? I highly doubt those are military, but I've been wrong before.

I'll look for the old topics and see if they answer my question.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Kenton Falerios

I know I'm about 5 years late on this post.  I recently joined.  I retired as a First Sergeant back in 2006.  I've collected the Army First Sergeant chevrons since then.  I like the pre-WWI stuff, especially the chevrons with a branch insignia with the diamond.  I've attached a photo of some of my First Sergeant Collection.  Sorry for the glare.

20200721_123324.jpg

Kenton Falerios
On 10/10/2015 at 10:14 PM, OD-Blue-Top said:

Thought I would post some of my 1SG chevrons and try to add to the herd

post-5916-0-27182100-1444533191.jpg

The one with the diamond sideways (top right), I've never seen that before.  Very unique.

Great display. I especially like the "aftermarket" added diamond, you have to assume a WW1 promotion. The 1st Sgt/Drum Major is also really cool.

Thanks for the post!

40 minutes ago, Grunt1SG said:

As my screen name implies, I am a retired 1SG also.

Here are some of  mine.

Stripes1.jpg

Stripes2.jpg

Nice collection, we like how you displayed them mostly as matching pairs.

Kenton Falerios

RobS. Those are nice.  Would you be interested in selling or trading for them?  I don't think I've seen a single rocker with a diamond.  What can you tell me about them?  Thanks.  Kenton

• 1 month later...
Kenton Falerios

So I did some checking on the single rocker First Sergeant.  Even contacted the best source out there, LTC (R) William K. Emerson.  He's never seen one like it before, but in his book; "US Army Soldiers and Their Chevrons", on page 291 (see the very last sentence) he does mention; "One manufacturer... while offering several non-army ranks including corporal with star, and sergeant with a diamond and sergeant with one arc with a diamond."

Many police departments, academies and schools created a "military" style rank for their police officers, cadets and band members.  

Anyone else find anything different?  Still a pretty neat chevron.

• 3 years later...