List of Silver Stars by Number

swag

Finished the Silver Star medal number list. This is pretty much the same type of list as the Purple Heart list I posted. Like that list, this list was culled from over 400+ General Orders. Only WW2 awards are listed.

Medal numbers with an asterisk have some anomaly associated with them. It could be a duplicate award; a change in name or ASN; the award was rescinded/deleted/amended; or some other change in information. Not listed are posthumous, POW, MIA awards; medals awarded with no medal number recorded; and second and third awards.

If you find your medal number and want like to know more, I can help fill in the blanks. For a fee, you will get the name, ASN, General Order number and date, unit of the award recipient, and a copy of the General Order entry for your soldier. This information will increase the value of your medal significantly. Silver Star number 18769 was awarded to a General; 19809 was awarded to a Warrant Officer.

Cost is $75 per number. If paying by paypal please include paypal fees. I also accept Postal Money Orders. Feel free to message or email me ([email protected]) with any questions.

The attached list is in pdf format. I know some folks had problems downloading the PH list, hopefully that won't happen with this list. But please email me if you have troubles downloading or opening it, I'll email you a copy.

Kevin

Silver Star Medal Numbers.pdf

• 5 years later...

a 4 digit Silver Star should be named and hand engraved. The Pre-WWII awards were not traceable by number , but were all named.

You can get the award card from the NARA through a researcher.

Kurt

Kansas Raider

Hi Kurt, yes it is engraved on the back. Is there a special form you have to fill out to get the info? Thanks Steve

• 3 months later...
Steve Brannan

Kevin

Tried your old email but it was returned to me. I have a BB&B Silver Star #34415. Is that one listed in your latest database?

6E119555-CEEC-421B-ABD3-6A2A0A6BC7D8.jpeg

• 4 months later...
wartimecollectables.com

Edward Leonard King, graduated from the U.S. Military Academy on 1896, Commissioned, he served in the Philippines and earned the Silver Star fighting the Insurrectionists. His group includes his officially hand engraved Silver Star with low edge number 213. The lowest number I can recall having.

King4.jpg

King5.jpg

On 9/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, wartimecollectables.com said:

Edward Leonard King, graduated from the U.S. Military Academy on 1896, Commissioned, he served in the Philippines and earned the Silver Star fighting the Insurrectionists. His group includes his officially hand engraved Silver Star with low edge number 213. The lowest number I can recall having.

King4.jpg

King5.jpg

That is a beautiful medal. Thanks for posting!

Kevin

• 7 months later...

I have BB&B Silver Star numbered 31,659. Is it traceable or is there a unit or organization that some numbers around it were issued to?  Thanks 

BB& B Silver Star 19712

Kevin - I have had this Silver Star in my collection for 25 years - I think it may be traceable.

Can you send me details for your research

Thanks

Bill

I tried to PM you but my message would not send

19 hours ago, gettysburg said:

I have BB&B Silver Star numbered 31,659. Is it traceable or is there a unit or organization that some numbers around it were issued to?  Thanks 

Unfortunately, 31,659 is not traceable at this time.

Kevin

• 11 months later...

I have SS in a WW2 case.  It has slotted brooch hanger.  It is not named but numbered 75929.  I didn't see it on your list and would like to know if it is a WW2 issue?  Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
KASTAUFFER
On 4/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, Keith said:

I have SS in a WW2 case.  It has slotted brooch hanger.  It is not named but numbered 75929.  I didn't see it on your list and would like to know if it is a WW2 issue?  Thanks.

A SS in that number range would be a WWII piece. It should have a slot brooch and have a fat planchette.