VALERY

TEAM 162, the red hats

The former owner in the uniform of the RTC 442 when he fought in Italy

post-1523-1291568176.jpg

Hi, I'm new here. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I'll do a quick intro. I'm Freddie Serna.

My brother was SP5 Herman Serna. According to the report my brother Herman Serna was one of four men of the 116th Assault Helicopter Company, Second Flight Platoon 'WASPS' that died when their UH-1H (hull number 68-16205) was shot down in Cambodia about 6 kilometers south of the Lo Go Border Post in Tay Ninh Province, South Vietnam on 14 May 1970. These are the crew members that didn't come home.

WO1 Stephen C. Chasin, pilot

WO1 Jack Russell Smith, copilot

SP5 Herman Serna, crew chief

CPL James Portwood, Jr, gunner

Now the reason I'm here is that I didn't know much about my brother when he was in Vietnam. All I knew was that he was in the Army as a crew chief on a helicopter. In 2005 I found out what unit he was with. I have all of his belongings that they sent. Well I was kid and would wear his clothes. Until recently I didn't give much thought until I saw his uniform. The uniform looks just like the TEAM 162 I see here except it doesn't have any insignias/patches. I don't remember seeing a red hat but he did have a camouflage Australian hat. I still have all of his belongings.

I'm a little confused. Was this type of uniform regular issue to helo crews in Vietnam?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there and welcome on board, during this time frame the standard helicopter flight crew uniform was this, though I think more for pilots.

http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=274

http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=164

as your brother was a crew chief he may well have worn standard US Jungle Fatigues and the Chicken Plate armour

http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=310

The items in this thread, and the one yous aw on my site, wouldn't be standard issue but tailored by the owner. Do you have any photos of your brother? I am sure if you post them here you will get some help.

Paul Bishop

----------------

http://www.modernforces.com

MACV-SOG Living History Group

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

George Orwell

donation2013.gif

I served with the Red Hats from June,1964 until February, 1965, as senior Advisor to the 5th Bn. I was wounded near Binh Gia on Feb 9, 1965, and evacuated back to the US.

I have a uniform available for sale from that period. Shirt and trousers are the original "Bulletproofs". It has all the standard patches, including the RVN gold jump wings.

As a matter of interest, my counterpart was Major Ngo Quang Truong, who went on to three stars and commander of 1st Corps.

Owen,

i think this is the uniform that GP gave you an image of?

We had a very brief chat about it at the SOS.

These very poor shots were taken by me at the Virginia War Museum if memory serves.

Someone here must have more shots of this lurking on a hard drive.....

Patrick.

Patrick, hope I'm not necro-posting too bad.

This uniform is in the American History Museum in Washington DC. I actually took a few photos of this uniform at my last visit for my own reference and it's definitely the same one. Excellent exhibit I must add, I thoroughly enjoyed my time searching through the museum.

-Brent

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

RIP Major David Seaver US Army Retired, 4th Infantry Division, Two Tours with Military Assistance Command, Vietnam. Sept 19th, 1938 - April 27th, 2007. Served 1962-1970.

Check out my website and facebook page for great deals on US and Foreign militaria!

www.crossfiremilitaria.com

www.facebook.com/crossfiremilitaria

I served with the Red Hats from June,1964 until February, 1965, as senior Advisor to the 5th Bn. I was wounded near Binh Gia on Feb 9, 1965, and evacuated back to the US.

I have a uniform available for sale from that period. Shirt and trousers are the original "Bulletproofs". It has all the standard patches, including the RVN gold jump wings.

As a matter of interest, my counterpart was Major Ngo Quang Truong, who went on to three stars and commander of 1st Corps.

Sir, fantastic. Welcome to the board and thank you for your service. I am very interested in the uniform you mentioned. Please contact me at whskey92@aol.com.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Thought this would be the best place to post this. Sorry not my photos but haven't had time to take more.

Uniform named to COL. Robert A. Hyatt. i believe the pants are an add on but still way cool.

Thanks for looking

Then from 1971 to 1972 Bob was named a Senior Advisor with the Airborne Division, Army of the Republic of Vietnam and was decorated with a second Legion of Merit for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services; and the Bronze Star Medal for distinguished heroism against an enemy. Next Bob was named Executive Officer of DOMS where he served from 1972 to 1973 and was awarded the Joint Service Commendation Medal and a second Meritorious Service Medal for conspicuously meritorious performance of duty in a non-combat situation. Then from 1973 to 1975 Bob was appointed Commanding Officer of the 10th Special Forces Group and was awarded the Commendation Medal for distinguished service.

post-492-0-58876400-1423612999.jpg

'A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon'

Always looking for Vietnam War US Special Forces/MACV-SOG jungle shirts/uniforms and OG107 Shirts/uniforms.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

This is a photo I have taken for my camouflage book.

This suit was bought by me from another forum member as is several years ago.

I added the Vietnam pegged pants to make up the set.

Pants were from a Rose bowl vendor.

owen

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

yeah sorry O,

I had not taken my own pics yet so sorry for using your pics

I just wanted to get the shirt up for everyone to see.

Ill post some more detailed pics soon

Always looking for Vietnam War US Special Forces/MACV-SOG jungle shirts/uniforms and OG107 Shirts/uniforms.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Few more close up pics of the really nice embroidery on the Hyatt shirt

post-117117-0-26043100-1424047840.jpg

post-117117-0-84011000-1424047856.jpg

cont

post-117117-0-55261200-1424047907.jpg

cont

post-117117-0-69532400-1424047942.jpg

Revisitng this thread. Admins, is it possible to have this thread moved to the camo section and pinned to the much like the Beo Gam or BDQ thread?

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

That would be a Great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif