TEAM 162, the red hats

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello,

Here is the only Airborne shirt I have, it s amazing that this is the same guy of the shirt that Valery owns as shown in the beginning of the topic. I bought it almost 1 year after Valery got his, both from 2 different countries.

The name on the tape was mispelt, BOMBEGER instead of BOMBERGER. While all the Airorne SSI and Jump Status were made in Bevo, the other were embroided on ERDL material. The Zipped pockets were made in Invisible ERDL pattern materiel.

Unlike the other shirts shown in this topic, this one was not modified to look like ARVN fatigue shirt, only the chest pockets were put vertical. (You can see the same shirt on the Patrick's B&W picture, only few advisors wore uniform like that, the other wore ARVn style shirt)

post-1523-1237849948.jpg

post-1523-1237849985.jpg

Owen,

i think this is the uniform that GP gave you an image of?

We had a very brief chat about it at the SOS.

These very poor shots were taken by me at the Virginia War Museum if memory serves.

Someone here must have more shots of this lurking on a hard drive.....

Patrick.

post-109-1238010144.jpg

donation2009.gif
What else is at this place ???

There is also an amazing VNMC advisor uniform grouping on display, or at least there was at the time, and huge amounts of WW2 era uniforms and equipment, weapons etc both Allied and Axis.

Patrick.

donation2009.gif
  • 8 months later...

Maybe you all can inform me better... I picked this picture up off of ebay a while back. Didn't pay much for it, but the camoflage uniform matches the ones depicted in this thread. Maybe it will be of interest to someone, if not I will remove the picture. Sorry for the lack of knowledge. Its a period photograph from a newspaper, actually its an AP photo if I'm not mistaken. On the back it has information of SF handing over a camp back to the Vietnamese. If anyone wants the exact caption, I will take the back off the frame to read it... its glued onto the back of the picture itself, and has some pencil corrections.

pictureabovecurio.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi, I'm new here. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I'll do a quick intro. I'm Freddie Serna.

My brother was SP5 Herman Serna. According to the report my brother Herman Serna was one of four men of the 116th Assault Helicopter Company, Second Flight Platoon 'WASPS' that died when their UH-1H (hull number 68-16205) was shot down in Cambodia about 6 kilometers south of the Lo Go Border Post in Tay Ninh Province, South Vietnam on 14 May 1970. These are the crew members that didn't come home.

WO1 Stephen C. Chasin, pilot

WO1 Jack Russell Smith, copilot

SP5 Herman Serna, crew chief

CPL James Portwood, Jr, gunner

Now the reason I'm here is that I didn't know much about my brother when he was in Vietnam. All I knew was that he was in the Army as a crew chief on a helicopter. In 2005 I found out what unit he was with. I have all of his belongings that they sent. Well I was kid and would wear his clothes. Until recently I didn't give much thought until I saw his uniform. The uniform looks just like the TEAM 162 I see here except it doesn't have any insignias/patches. I don't remember seeing a red hat but he did have a camouflage Australian hat. I still have all of his belongings.

I'm a little confused. Was this type of uniform regular issue to helo crews in Vietnam?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• 4 months later...
Bonjour,

Really interested in this unit, please let me know present few items from this unit.

Team 162 constituted the largest U.S. advisory effort of the Vietnam War. Some 1,200 soldiers were assigned to Team 162 during its 11 years of service. Airborne experience was a prerequisite for assignment. Most team members had served with the 11th, 82nd or 101st Airborne Divisions. In addition, the team included U.S. Air Force forward air controllers. They were called “Red Markers” for their ability to mark targets during battle.

Thirty-four soldiers and three airmen from Team 162 were killed in action. That was the most of any advisory team in Vietnam.

At last count 34 former team members became General Officers (Pete Dawkins, Norman Schwarzkopf, Barry McCaffrey, James Lindsey, Jim Vaught, Joe Kinzer, John LeMoyne, Guy Meloy and Herb Lloyd just to name a few) and 78 Sergeants Major. One Red Hat earned the Medal of Honor (Louis Rocco). Many more received Distinguished Service Crosses and several Vietnamese Airborne Battalions were awarded Presidential Unit Citations.

American airborne advisors took part in training and combat operations at every level of the Vietnamese unit from battalion to division. Initial advisory duties emphasized planning, training and logistical issues. Later, Team 162 jumped with their Vietnamese counterparts.

The elite Vietnamese Airborne Division fought in all 17 combat campaigns of the Vietnam War:

· Vietnam Advisory Campaign, 15 March 1962 to 7 March 1965

· Vietnam Defense Campaign, 8 March 1965 to 24 December 1965

· Vietnam Counteroffensive, 25 December 1965 to 30 June 1966

· Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase II, 1 July 1966 to 31 May 1967

· Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase III, 1 June 1967 to 29 January 1968

· Tet Counteroffensive, 30 January 1968 to 1 April 1968

· Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase IV, 2 April 1968 to 30 June 1968

· Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase V, 1 July 1968 1 November 1968

· Vietnam Counteroffensive Phase VI, 2 November 1968 to 22 February 1969

· Tet 69 Counteroffensive, 23 February 1969 to 8 June 1969

· Vietnam Summer-Fall 1969, 9 June 1969 to 31 October 1969

· Vietnam Winter-Spring 1970, 1 November 1969 to 30 April 1970

· DA Sanctuary Counteroffensive, 1 May 1970 to 30 June 1970

· Vietnam Counteroffensive, Phase VII, 1 July 1970 to 30 June 1971

· Consolidation I, 1 July 1971 to 30 November 1971

· Consolidation II, 1 December 1971 to 29 March 1972

· Vietnam Cease-Fire, 30 March 1972 to 28 January 1973

Really interested in this unit, please let me show you few items from this unit.

The beret

This one belonged to an advisor assigned at the team during the early year. It has still the french cut of the early 50's beret (three parts made). You could note the french and vietnamese translation for: all military items

276367555_001eab16b5.jpg

276367559_8528cdd1e1.jpg

276367557_379d3e2ae7_o.jpg

Hello I am posting for the first time in this forum because i was given a full camo set and red beret w/ bullion airborne insignia by a living MAAG advisor circa 1962. The camo set has had no insignia sewn on them and never has. Both have the quarter master stamps and look like the real deal. The set does look as if it was just issued. I Think this is a camo called "BLOOD CAKE and BULLETPROOF" . It has Two pockets on the shirt and the buttons are hidden. The pants have two deep pockets w/out buttons in front and two rear pockets. The camo is dark purple pattern.The beret was worn and is in good condition. This retired col. was in the medical corp serving the south vietnam airborne as an advisor in 1962. He was a proud member of the 442nd RCT as a combat medic and was given a battlefield commission after receiving a Silver Star in Italy. He was captured in the Vosges forest by the Germans while attempting to evacuate wounded and sent to Oflag 64 in Poland. He also served in the Korean war as an interrogator of Chinese & North Korean POW's. He served his country for 30 years and is 90 years young.

He was just presented the CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL by President Obama as a veteran of the Purple Heart Division.

As you can tell I am honored to have this camo set and beret.I am seeking any info on this set as i know you folks have all the answers. I TRIED TO ENCLUDE PHOTOS BUT FAILED BECAUSE PHOTO FILES ARE TO LARGE. I may be able to Email photos on request.

Thank you for your help

Dale

Hello I am posting for the first time in this forum because i was given a full camo set and red beret w/ bullion airborne insignia by a living MAAG advisor circa 1962. The camo set has had no insignia sewn on them and never has. Both have the quarter master stamps and look like the real deal. The set does look as if it was just issued. I Think this is a camo called "BLOOD CAKE and BULLETPROOF" . It has Two pockets on the shirt and the buttons are hidden. The pants have two deep pockets w/out buttons in front and two rear pockets. The camo is dark purple pattern.The beret was worn and is in good condition. This retired col. was in the medical corp serving the south vietnam airborne as an advisor in 1962. He was a proud member of the 442nd RCT as a combat medic and was given a battlefield commission after receiving a Silver Star in Italy. He was captured in the Vosges forest by the Germans while attempting to evacuate wounded and sent to Oflag 64 in Poland. He also served in the Korean war as an interrogator of Chinese & North Korean POW's. He served his country for 30 years and is 90 years young.

He was just presented the CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL by President Obama as a veteran of the Purple Heart Division.

As you can tell I am honored to have this camo set and beret.I am seeking any info on this set as i know you folks have all the answers. I TRIED TO ENCLUDE PHOTOS BUT FAILED BECAUSE PHOTO FILES ARE TO LARGE. I may be able to Email photos on request.

I want to make it quite clear that this lot is NOT FOR SALE and was not put in this forum to take offers. I have my own photos of this officer holding the uniform before he presented them to me so i know exactly where they came from. He has given me several other items including his ribbon bar (siver star,bronze star and purple heart) while he was a Sgt. in italy.He said that they were his camos but did not say how much they were worn,if at all. I know that it is a very unique set and may be worth a sweet price.

Thank you for your help

Dale

Could you post the uniform you have from him ? it s like the fashion modded in Vietnam, not only for Airborne troopers,I was easy to ask your tailorshop to do what ever you want at this time

Hi, I'm new here. I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier. I'll do a quick intro. I'm Freddie Serna.

My brother was SP5 Herman Serna. According to the report my brother Herman Serna was one of four men of the 116th Assault Helicopter Company, Second Flight Platoon 'WASPS' that died when their UH-1H (hull number 68-16205) was shot down in Cambodia about 6 kilometers south of the Lo Go Border Post in Tay Ninh Province, South Vietnam on 14 May 1970. These are the crew members that didn't come home.

WO1 Stephen C. Chasin, pilot

WO1 Jack Russell Smith, copilot

SP5 Herman Serna, crew chief

CPL James Portwood, Jr, gunner

Now the reason I'm here is that I didn't know much about my brother when he was in Vietnam. All I knew was that he was in the Army as a crew chief on a helicopter. In 2005 I found out what unit he was with. I have all of his belongings that they sent. Well I was kid and would wear his clothes. Until recently I didn't give much thought until I saw his uniform. The uniform looks just like the TEAM 162 I see here except it doesn't have any insignias/patches. I don't remember seeing a red hat but he did have a camouflage Australian hat. I still have all of his belongings.

I'm a little confused. Was this type of uniform regular issue to helo crews in Vietnam?

Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.