USAF Radio Relay Station - FOLLOW ME AROUND

woodsman

Here is a recent video from the former USAF Radio Relay Station at Langerkopf, Germany. The site is going to be bulldozed soon, to make new space for windpower. The site is abandoned for some years now, also hardly vandalised by some iditos and metal scapers. Paintballers also had their fun. But the site still looks very beautyful in the snow and with the fog around the antenna tower.

So this video is a short documentary, what the site looked like in December 2014, shortly before it will be removed. The video is hosted at my youtube channel. I make short videos of abandoned war relics, such as bunkers and stuff. Also other abandoned buildings and places. ENJOY

Interesting on several levels.

I am sure 20 years ago you wouldn't have gotten past the front gate let alone been allowed to take pictures of the place.

I think these pictures would break the heart of anyone who had worked to maintain the site over the years.

It is also surprising to me how quickly these facilities are degrading and "returning to nature". It just shows nothing on this earth is permanent.

Unless they had been there, I don't think a lot of Americans understand how militarized West Germany was during the Cold War. There were a lot of "blank spots" on the map for facilities that were intended to be hidden. I once saw a Luftwaffe base constructed on the land where two towns had been in the 1980's. As I said, it was just a big empty space on the unclassified version of our tactical maps.

Not everything is being allowed to go to ruin. The kaserne where I had my quarters at Neubrucke has been turned into a technical college. Formerly it had been a hospital complex that was kept in reserve in case of World War III. I can't think of a better use for it.

yeah you right. The woods in the whole area are full of former storage facilities, warehouse bunkers and other hidden military locations from the cold war. very sad, that these places are more and more disapearing in the last years.

To my understanding, the USA gave all the land of this places back to Germany. The land is now back under control by the "Bundesamt für Liegenschaften". Its a governmental organisation for buildings and land owned by Germany. I think they just didnt know what to do with this place. What can you do with an old tower, that is located somewhere deep in the woods and has been used for NATO radio communication in the 70s?

I also posted this video to a facebook group about this place. Group is named "Langerkopf Germany". There are some veterans who had served there in the 60s & 70s. They also posted many pictures from that time, its very interesting, how the place has changed over the years.

I also know Neubrücke very well. I live about 20km away from Neubrücke. Greetings to you and thanks to ray for liking my stuff. =)

I was actually assigned to 708th Maintenance at Baumholder. They had quarters available at Neubrucke... it wasn't that far away and a whole bunch quieter.

The first week I was in transient quarters at Baumholder, it was on a ridge right above the Tank Trail. One night a German tank brigade moved out for an exercise. I did not get a bit of sleep.

Too bad they can't use such facilities for a Boy Scout or youth camp, or a nature center. I am sure the cost of removing that relay tower will be very expensive. But with the buildings and roads in place, you would think they could find some use for it.

There was a youtube video about the US signal intelligence station in Berlin. For all of its significance during the Cold War it appears to have been totally vandalized.

Please be careful exploring these places. I am sure you realize there are open holes in the structures as well as unstable areas.