Mannequin Cloth

aurelius180

I recently purchased my first mannequins (torso forms) and I'm planning my display but have a couple of questions. I did a search but couldn't find an answer.

I've noticed that collectors often wrap their mannequins with fabric. I assume this is for presentation purposes and also preservation of the material being displayed. Am I correct in these assumptions? If so, is there a particular type of fabric that should be used, i.e. cotton, felt, flanel, etc.?

Thank you for your help.

I don't know if it helps with preservation or not, I'm sure it couldn't hurt it though. However sometimes the displays have wacky bright colors to them which detract from the piece you're trying to display. Like here for instance, notice how the bright blue contrasts with my Admiral's uniform (I'm just too lazy to cover mine up lol). Good luck on your displays, I'm anxious to see what you do with them!

post-153919-0-00210800-1418104538.jpg

Same here. I use biege burlap to cover the neck area. I have a lot of hangers on stands so the burlap makes the display look much more realistic. Thats the only reason I use it.

I have used a small piece of velvet in complimentary color to cover that area and it looks nice, especially if you display a hat above it

Thanks for all the input!

I know with styrofoam there is a concern with off-gassing so I wasn't sure about with mannequins. I purchased flesh colored, plastic torso forms but will probably use some complimentary fabric.

I took another members idea and used stocking legs over my foam heads, and then had a bunch of the pelvic portions left, so I cut and stretched them over the exposed necks of my torso mannequins. Since the pelvises are thicker fabric, it worked well. I have the benefit of USMC dress uniforms having a closed collar, though, so I had very little exposed to begin with