How to display a 78rpm record?

Major Z

Hello all,

I recently acquired a 78rpm record made during WW2. It is a copy of the Quartermaster Song, subtitled, "We're the Gang that Keeps Things Moving." There is writing on it that it was owned by the post laundry at Fort Meade, MD. What I would like to know is how should I display this item? I'm assuming nowhere near sunlight for starters. Are there protective sleeves available? Is there a good method for how to hang this on the wall while preserving its age? The record came in a brown paper sleeve. I can't say I've owned any records recently, so I'm hoping for suggestions. Thanks for reading!

if the paper sleeve is in decent condition then it should be fine, its probably best to keep it out of direct sunlight while displayed and keep it in a cool room, if you are going to play it i suggest finding a newer player instead of a weighed down arm player which the needles themselves can scratch the surface if not careful... for my records on display which are mostly 33s but i do have some 78s i keep them in their sleeves and use a simple plate stand or make a simple stand that only contacts the edges and doesnt put strain on the center from its own weight... if it is scratched where the needle would ride the scratch a simple cleaning could help but make sure you do it right

and you can usually find sleeves at a record shop or online

Keeping it out the sun is always a good idea, although the older 78's were made out of a different substance than the later vinyl records and are more prone to breaking than warping.

You could just put it in a frame wthout or without glass - or even just screw a hook into the wall and hang it on that. As long is it is secure and not likely to get knocked on to the floor, it should be okay on the wall.

Of course the coolest way to display it would be to get one of the old hand-cranked Signal Corp record players:

gramophone.jpg

• 2 months later...
VladimirBerkov

It's hard to damage 78s, so long as it won't accidentally get knocked off and broken, or in an area subject to extreme heat it should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally opted to use frames from Ikea that are designed to fit an entire record jacket. Being that I didn't have that, I just put them under the glass and the spring clips hold the thick record in place just fine. It's a little tricky to get it centered as you close it up, but it worked out okay.