What to do?

Calflash

Picked up an M-1917 scabbard with the following story.

Scabbard painted Kelly Green for use by the 107th Infantry Regt. of the 27th NY Division for use in the WWI Victory Parade in New York City. The 107th Painted their helmets and scabbards for the parade to stand out from the other regt.s of the 27th. Paint color is similar to that of NY park benches and street lamps of the period. They probably got the paint from the local city maintenance shop.

What to do. Leave it or restore it? If restore it, how to get 96 year old paint off of the leather and steel?

You cannot restore it. No matter what you do, it will not look like it did before it was painted. Your best bet is to leave it as is and keep with it any written accounts you can find about them being painted for the parade.

Restore it to what? A generic, unattributed scabbard instead of the unit identified one you have now?? If you know the history and can trace it to a specific unit, particularly to something the unit did at the time of WWI, then why would you want to destroy that history?

Sell it and buy another that is plain, but please don't "restore" it.

Restore it to what? A generic, unattributed scabbard instead of the unit identified one you have now?? If you know the history and can trace it to a specific unit, particularly to something the unit did at the time of WWI, then why would you want to destroy that history?

Sell it and buy another that is plain, but please don't "restore" it.

Unrestored, it is. I just needed to confirm my thoughts on it. I like the "been there" look.

Unrestored, it is. I just needed to confirm my thoughts on it. I like the "been there" look.

Then I would suggest selling it to a 27th collector, then taking the funds and buying one with the looks you seek.