S&W Victory Model US Army Pictures

NGCoastArtillery41

NGCoastArtillery41

Hey all,

I recently purchased a S&W Victory model.

I am looking for pictures of victory models being carried by US Army troops during the war in all theaters (ETO, PTO, CONUS). I am particularily interested in pictures of the revolver being used by Coast Artillery CONUS, military police, and signal corps troops in the ETO.

I am trying to study what the correct set up would be for carrying the pistol (e.g. holster, pouches, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlie Flick

Hello NGCoast:

As I understand your request you are looking for WW2-only images of US Army personnel carrying the S&W, 4 inch, .38 Special Victory Model. You are not asking about images of Navy/Marine/OSS or foreign military use of the Victory in WW2.

You are going to have a very difficult time finding any images that meet your criteria. That is because the Victory Model, in US military service during WW2, was primarily used by the Navy, Marine aviators and the Coast Guard. Documented Victory Model service in the US Army during WW2 was minimal and, in my experience, WW2 images of Army personnel qualify as unobtainium.

If you broaden your criteria to post-WW2 then the task become much easier.

How about telling us a little more about your new Victory, such as the butt and left top strap markings and complete serial? Photos always help. We can probably give you some useful history on it and in that way make your new revolver more meaningful and interesting to you.

Regards,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...
NGCoastArtillery41

Ok, that would make sense. Are there pictures of them being used by Seabees, or other Naval Amphibious forces?

My revolver has the U.S. flaming bomb ordnance insignia and is marked U.S. Government Property. It has the V prefix on the serial number.

Charlie, I will send you a PM with full serial number.

• 2 weeks later...
Charlie Flick

hi , what can the serial number tell you ?

I have a victory and would like to know more about the old sixgun ??

satana

Hello Satana:

The complete serial number, along with a good description of the markings on the left top strap and butt, and the barrel length and caliber, allows me to give you a good estimate on when the revolver was shipped from the S&W factory. In some instances, I can tell you to whom it was shipped. This information comes from the Victory Model Database which another collector and I have maintained for years.

If you can post this info here I would be happy to give you the estimate. Photos are also very helpful.

Regards,

Charlie

Hello Satana:

The complete serial number, along with a good description of the markings on the left top strap and butt, and the barrel length and caliber, allows me to give you a good estimate on when the revolver was shipped from the S&W factory. In some instances, I can tell you to whom it was shipped. This information comes from the Victory Model Database which another collector and I have maintained for years.

If you can post this info here I would be happy to give you the estimate. Photos are also very helpful.

Regards,

Charlie

Charlie,

If you have some time in the future, would you mind checking your database for a couple more? I have two Victories, one GHD-marked with SN V346191 and one US Navy marked with SN V236273. I'll try to get pictures soon. Thanks in advance!

hi , what can the serial number tell you ?

I have a victory and would like to know more about the old sixgun ??

satana

OR you can send away to Smith & Wesson and they will give you a certificate telling you when it was made and where it was shipped authored by Roy Jinks.

I will try to dig my certificate out tonight to show you what I mean.

It costs a couple of bucks but worth it if you ever go to sell it.

Charlie Flick

Charlie,

If you have some time in the future, would you mind checking your database for a couple more? I have two Victories, one GHD-marked with SN V346191 and one US Navy marked with SN V236273. I'll try to get pictures soon. Thanks in advance!

Yes, I would be happy to do so. Please get me the details and I can then check the Victory Model Database for you.

As Anton pointed out above, there is always the option of getting a factory letter from the S&W Factory Historian. The current cost is $50. I have lettered most of my own Victories and usually recommend that others do the same. The factory letter remains the gold standard. However, if you simply are looking for an estimated ship date and destination I can give you that at no cost.

Regards,

Charlie