The mother load ...

Teebo

Well it's a lot for me. I don't find a whole lot at Gun Shows around here but this weekend at the flea I hit it big.

Found -

Alaskan Defense Command grouping Shirts, Jackets, Cold Weather Coat and Pants

Officers Carry Bag, Leather Potfolio, Hat and some Shirts

Genex Helicopter Helmet Minty!

Rack with Ax/Pick not sure for which military applications

Some unusual Pins, patches

I think WW2 Helmet Liners 5 in all

And the usual WW2 Canteens, mess kits and cutlery

I will be happy to post as many pictures as you can put up with. I need help Identifying some of the items and decided what to keep and what to sell/trade.

post-154916-0-04398600-1417985646.jpg

This jacket with the shirts from this group are riddled with moth holes. I hate to do it but I guess I'm going to salvage patch, tags, medals and buttons. It's a shame but I can't see it worth while to save it.

post-154916-0-91449900-1417985971.jpg

Unusual parka. Not sure of age came from the ADC group. Kind of hard. Do know if it can be softened by soaking or washing. Any thoughts appreciated.

post-154916-0-61957900-1417986765.jpg

This jacket with the shirts from this group are riddled with moth holes. I hate to do it but I guess I'm going to salvage patch, tags, medals and buttons. It's a shame but I can't see it worth while to save it.

That's a custom made officer's Ike Jacket and I can't see any damage that would warrant it being stripped. Right now you have a nice complete Jacket. If you strip it, you'll have a stripped jacket and a pile of very common insignia.

Unusual parka. Not sure of age came from the ADC group. Kind of hard. Do know if it can be softened by soaking or washing. Any thoughts appreciated.

There is likely little you can do except to prevent further damage. Soaking it in water could make it worse, so the best course of action is to do nothing.

Tank instructor jacket. Not sure of era bought from different person.

Late 1950's. It has pattern 1951 chevrons and an Army Green background on the Armor triangle and tab. AG was adopted in 1956. The wear-out date on the Ike Jacket for the Regular Army was 1959, if I remember right. The Master Sergeant was likely both a Korean War and WWII vet with all those overseas service bars.

That's a custom made officer's Ike Jacket and I can't see any damage that would warrant it being stripped. Right now you have a nice complete Jacket. If you strip it, you'll have a stripped jacket and a pile of very common insignia.

I agree but it's riddled with moth holes and damage. Would someone still want it like that? I'm not sure I guess my standards are a little higher. This what I needed help deciding. What about the shirts? Are they as important as preserving?

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Please leave the jacket together, it has some moth holes but it's still in one piece and looks good, I'd much rather have it intact with a few moth holes rather than a bunch of pieces. If it's not in nice enough shape for you to keep it please consider selling it rather than taking it apart.

Okay, I will leave them together. I would like the patches but it is boy really my field and it sounds like you believe they should stay together. I was having a tough time making up my mind but that is why I asked. What should I ask for the jacket in this condition?

Rule Number One for Militaria Collectors (for any era):

Never take apart a uniform or group of uniforms, even if they seem like there is no life or future left in them.

Teebo, is there any sort of identification on any of the uniforms? If so there is a possibility that the original owner could be traced.

Second. As for the damage done to the uniforms by moths and carpet beetles (which I am sure is worse than pictured). I would suggest neatly folding up the uniforms, put them individually into a clean paper sack, and place them in a freezer for about two weeks (more probably in your case, and take off anything plastic or metal beforehand). The cold will eliminate any other bugs in your uniforms. If you cannot put all the uniforms in at the same time, keep the frozen uniforms far away from the unfrozen ones, or else the bugs will jump back on the uniforms you just froze.

As for a price, with the unfortunate condition of the uniforms I would ask $65-$70 for the Alaskan Defense group. But I would ask more if I could put a name to the group. If you were to take the group apart and strip it, you would have a practically worthless Ike jacket, undershirts which would bring maybe $20, and a bunch of insignia that would bring $15, if you were lucky.

The tanker jacket would probably bring $25 if you identified the original owner.

I can say knowing that many other forum members would agree with me that breaking up a perfectly good uniform grouping is not a good idea. I do not mean to offend you in any way but it would seem such a loss to take apart a piece of history.

Best Regards;

McDermut99

P.S.-If you find any writing on any of the uniforms please post it, maybe some forum members could try to help you find the original owners.

mywifesays-ohno-morestuff

Hello, that's a cool haul you picked up. I was curious to ask if you would be selling any of the Alaskan Defense officers shirts? If so, could you post a few pictures of the damage? Do you have any idea of their sizes? I would vote against disassembling the stuff. It might be rough but a tailored officers jacket is pretty cool. Also what is the item to the left of the parka in the photo? Again, thats a COOL pick-up.

Moth holes, as long as they are not excessive, can sometimes be restored.

Even if you don't want to invest in that, please keep these together for the next person.

Hello, that's a cool haul you picked up. I was curious to ask if you would be selling any of the Alaskan Defense officers shirts? If so, could you post a few pictures of the damage? Do you have any idea of their sizes? I would vote against disassembling the stuff. It might be rough but a tailored officers jacket is pretty cool. Also what is the item to the left of the parka in the photo? Again, thats a COOL pick-up.

I am not sure of their size. I will try and get pics of damage when I can of the shirts. Item to left of parka is a heavy cold weather jacket in good condition with pants and embroidered silver bar on shoulders.

post-154916-0-82826200-1418048684.jpg