POW items from Hanoi Hilton........seen by chance

TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter

I went to a friends shop today to get some photos framed and he said I have something to show you.....he said open that box and this is what I found. He said a family member brought it in to get framed in a shadow box......name wont be revealed. I was a bit shocked and thanked him for letting me see it and snap a pic.....

post-123772-0-33297500-1417824924.jpg

vintageproductions

Killer stuff and I sure hope the person isn't like most framers and ends up gluing the items in the frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
TreasureHunter

I just happened to be near my friends framing shop and got to see the finished product of what he did with these item, he is doing this for the son of a Lt Col who spent 5 years in Hanoi Hilton, the LTCol gave the son the items on Thanksgiving last year and here is what my friend did with them for the son......its giant and deep....

post-123772-0-19361600-1428243568.jpg

firefighter

Amazing frame job.As Bob stated I hope he didn't glue the items in.What happened to the 4th POW Wing shirt and Operation Home Coming patch? I didn't see them in the frame.

TreasureHunter

It wasn't used. Understand this is for the son/family of the POW and may end up at the University of Alabama. I didn't see glue, I saw double sided tape.

firefighter

Well if he needs me to hold on to the items that were not used please let me know.I would be more than happy to help out. :D

Fantastic display. I just finished a book by a Vietnam POW, an early war POW shot down in 1966. I recall he noted that those purplish colored uniforms were their last issue POW garb, and that they came home in khaki clothes when released. I think they wore two other style POW uniform top and bottoms before that set in the display.

• 3 months later...
blitzkrieg gsd

That's a really cool shadow box one you don't see all the time for sure. I was wondering why a guy who went threw that would want to be reminded of it everyday hanging on his wall. Then I saw it was given to his son and I understood it a little better. Something to remind you of how strong of a man his father was or is everyday when he see it. Very cool and something to be proud of.

looks like good quality work on the framing job. the men who endured that living hell, i hold in the highest regard. i have read many of their stories, and actually met one many years ago in sacramento. first rate troops, no matter their branch.