Korean War Unknown Badge

34BDQ

A family friend sent me a picture of these badges and requested my help to I.D.

I recognized the top piece as The Order of the Bayonet with a green outline in the circle. There is another with no green outline and is just red.

The bottom piece I have researched, but have not come up with any information. Both I believe are related to the 7th I.D, and exhibit exquisite workmanship.

post-468-0-77556700-1417804941.jpg

post-468-0-95555000-1417804961.jpg

You are correct that the top badge is the Order of the Bayonet. I have seen the green border above, as well as the all red circle and even a black border. Not sure what the differences are.

The bottom badge is very interesting. I have never seen anything like it. I'm really hoping someone here can identify.

• 2 months later...
Buffalo Grunt

The bottom badge is a "Colombian" Combat Infantry Badge. The Colombian Infantry was attached to elements of the 7th Infantry Division for pretty much the entire Korean War.

A family friend sent me a picture of these badges and requested my help to I.D.

I recognized the top piece as The Order of the Bayonet with a green outline in the circle. There is another with no green outline and is just red.

The bottom piece I have researched, but have not come up with any information. Both I believe are related to the 7th I.D, and exhibit exquisite workmanship.

Buffalo Grunt

The Officer's version had a star on the top, center of wreath. Also, when an american soldier (who was awarded the badge) wore the badge, it was worn on the right side, opposed to Colombian personnel. who wore it on the left.

post-3866-0-99575400-1425044599.jpg

Buffalo Grunt

A great picture that I recently found on the internet - an enlisted Colombian soldier circa mid to late 1953 (attached to 17th Infantry Regiment, per DUIs)

Note the enlisted combat Infantry badge and order of the bayonet award on opposite side.

post-3866-0-23897600-1425044843.jpg

Buffalo Grunt

Here's a good picture of the award being worn by LTC Beverly Money Read (1-17 Commanding Officer) Circa late 1953. You can also see the Military Order of the Bayonet being worn by the Major, second from the right.

post-3866-0-14959300-1425076431.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a picture from a book I have that was printed in Japan in Jan, 1953.

LTC Alberto Ruiz-Novoa, Commander, Colombia Infantry Battalion in Korea

He assumed command of the Colombian BN on 4 July, 1952. I've had this book for years but never noticed this badge until I was really looking for it! Notice he also wears 31st IN collar brass and DIs. Much like the Ethiopian BN that was attached to the 32ns IN, I assume the Colombians were attached to the 31st?

post-122639-0-21421000-1425872197.jpeg

Excellent Excellent.....Excellent contribution there Buffalo Grunt. Do believe these are the first photos of the Colombian Battalion of the Korean War posted in any forum.

• 6 months later...

post-34986-0-89666000-1443926525.jpgpost-34986-0-44562100-1443926539.jpg

And some Vets at a Parade in Bogota a couple of years ago, note the 7th Div Order of the Bayonet Badge and the Colombian Combat Infantry Badge worn by some.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, thanks to this thread I was able to identify my mystery badge that I found in a box of badges; it turned out to be the Colombia Combat Infantry badge. Here's some pictures of it:

badge.jpg

badge2.jpg

badge3.jpg

How come mine has stamping on the back whereas the other one in the first post doesn't? Also, can anyone please give me an indication as to the value of my badge?

Many thanks!

- Chris

How come mine has stamping on the back whereas the other one in the first post doesn't?

More than likely a manufacture variant hallmark, just like U.S. made stuff, lots of different makers make them.

Value of my badge?

No Idea personally, I always pay what da man want :lol:.

The problem I have is that I cannot find any examples for sale on the internet nor can I find any examples that have sold in the past. This is why it was so hard to identify and also why it's so hard to gauge a value of it. Does anyone have any idea what they have sold for in the past? Does anyone here own any examples?

- Chris

I've never seen one for sale, I think value would depend on the buyer in this case. I wanted an Ethiopian Combat Infantry Badge for my 32nd Infantry collection and probably overpaid. Someone who collects KW 7ID items might really want this. I like how your badge is marked. I think it's in the ballpark of $100 - maybe higher. Having the picture above of US soldiers wearing the badge helps.

• 2 months later...

The Ethiopian CIB? Looks similar to ourn. This officer from a 1971 photo at the Ft Leavenworth C&GS School has Korean War service, unfortunately the image didn't scan well, but he is wearing that ribbon for well known UN service medal.

post-34986-0-73967700-1459139044.jpg

• 8 months later...