The old Hand Grenade in the wood stove trick, eh?!

Morlok

How exactly did a hand grenade get stuck to or on a tree? Seems far more likely it was some type of explosive projectile that hit the tree and failed to go off. Any type of fragmenting ordnance would likely have shredded the stove.

Could have gotten there many of different ways, maybe even laid in crotch of the limbs. 70 years worth of growth. Seen many a barbed wire fence passing through trees over the years so this is very possible, and most likely grenade went off while still within the log while it was still burning; however you would think that would make it more intense. Who knows, sure glad I wasn't there, but it'd be neat to watch on Youtube :D

Backtheattack

B229, the original "ORF" (austria news chanel) report talks about a 20 milimetre round, used for instance in german anti-aircraft-guns or different fighter planes guns like the MG 151/20 or the FF-canon. They didn`t talk about a handgrenade. Here is the link:

http://tvthek.orf.at/program/heute-oesterreich/4660163/heute-oesterreich/8863789/Granate-im-Kachelofen/8863912

At 0:57 and 0:58 you can have a look at the round.

I don't speak German but I got the idea of what was going on just picking up a few words....based on European news...whenever they dig new foundations/water pipes...whatever... they come across something. In the states we worry about hitting an underground water pipe or electric. In Europe, you better get a dam good metal detector and use it AS you dig...and I'm just guessing...they dig a little slower and safer. Thanks for posting BTA.

If that is an image of the actual 20mm projectile in the video, it only looks like the detonator in the fuse exploded. The main body of the projectile looks to be intact like the main charge didn't explode. I would think that if the whole thing had ignited there would be a lot more stove damage and only little shrapnel pieces of the projectile left. It looks like the home owner really "Dodged a bullet" by not having the whole projectile going boom in their stove!!

Bob