HARIAN 45 USMC dismounted ammo belt....

BROBS

So did they dye these after assembly? Or was the web dyed as lots?

Thanks,

-Brian

As Craig stated the canvas was dyed prior to assembly.There are dye variations from maker to maker.There were vat dye colors standardized but batches would vary.As Craig's belt shows the different colors these tend to be called transitional belts by collectors where in reality its just the manufacturer(s) using what they had on hand or using a older batch of canvas with new.You will even see 1942 dated belts with a khaki body and light green flaps.

Then there are the WW2 era items reduced for use in the 50s. Craig Pickrall had a full thread on this practice.

A few "Harians" I've had laying around for some time...the top 2 are dated '44, the one on the bottom is a "transitional" product

identical to Craig's, and the one right above it is identical to Brian's. It is indeed a strange way to stamp their Belts- looks

almost like it was done with an ink pen:

post-3226-0-46710100-1418145237.jpg

The Army did away with the inner retainer straps in '45, whereas the Marines retained them well into the '50s.

post-3226-0-44000300-1418145541.jpg

The "U.S.M.C." stamps; the upper one features letters which are identical to the ones used on the Utility Coats.

post-3226-0-46749300-1418145715.jpg

The Army did away with the inner retainer straps in '45, whereas the Marines retained them well into the '50s.

Always wonder about that? Nice belts Flage Guy.

Craig

Here is something very interesting??? the 1943 Harian cartridge belt and 1943 canteen cover. I'm thinking it is the only time in WWII that a canvas manufactor made both the belt and canteen covers?

This just shows that Harian's canvas supplies changed threw the War. The OD #7 was being used in 1943 and in 1945 went back to a shade of OD #3 as shown in the above pictures of the 1945 transitional belts of mine & Flage Guy's belt.

The ( US ) fonts markings of the belt and canteen cover are slightly different even though they used the same size stamp fonts but could be the pressured applied in the marking of them but the inside of the ( U ) is wider on the belt than on the canteen cover.

One other note?? the Harian 1943 stamp markings look to be very similar in size and fonts to each other on the belt and canteen cover.

Cool stuff!

Craig

post-7997-0-83475200-1418179731.jpg

post-7997-0-12135300-1418179768.jpg

Craig, that is some killer canvas you got there :o

And dang it, you reminded me of another "Harian" I've had for a zillion years and forgot about, and only have 1 picture of. Again, it's identical to your '43, right down to the khaki clip retainers in the pockets...small world!

post-3226-0-42253200-1418193153.jpeg

• 9 years later...
Arisaka99

Bringing a decade old post back to the top. Thanks for the reference and time you took to educate back in 2014 fellas! Picked up this 45-dated Harian USMC cartridge belt today and was confident doing so because of the great info on this thread. The post previous to this is prophetic. 

IMG_0136.jpeg

IMG_0137.jpeg

IMG_0133.jpeg

IMG_0134.jpeg

IMG_0132.jpeg

IMG_0131.jpeg

IMG_0138.jpeg