Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

• 4 weeks later...

Instructors of the 82nd Airborne Division Recondo Course at Fort Bragg around 1984/1985. Notice the guy on the far left is wearing a BDU cap. Also, it appears that some of the guys are wearing long sleave undershirts beneath their uniforms suggesting these jungle fatigues might have been worn in cooler weather and perhaps year round. Also note that all are wearing slant pocket jungle jackets except for the guy third from right on the back row who has a straight pocket shirt.

post-1761-0-77434300-1426175508.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We had them at Ft. Polk in 86-87. As mentioned already, they and the 107s could be worn while waiting for the new bdu's. I had a pic of my set posted before, but alas, I use Photobucket...We had to wear the bdu cap with them. Scott

Linedoggie

After thinking about it some more, some of the first ones that showed up at Ft. Hood were for units that went on exercise in Central America in the early 1980's. And then as atb noted above, they later became more available.

On a side note, the women's version of the hot weather fatigue was distributed even earlier. I remember many of the female soldiers wearing them at Fort Hood in the late 1970's. They were fine in that climate and gave them a more distinctive look.

Germany was a different matter. I knew some of the female soldiers wore them even the colder climate, but many opted for male versions of the OG-107. The Air Force, on the other hand, created a female version of the standard OG-107. I believe some of our troops got their hands on those and wore them as well.

When the hot weather BDU came out, a lot of people were quick to adopt them.

I was in 2AD in Ft. Hood when the OD Jungles were authorized for wear. MCSS sold them at US$8.00 a Set. We wore them for all formations in lieu of the winter weight BDU or OG-507's and they were appreciated in Hoods humidity

Linedoggie

Cool stuff. In the 82nd pic what's the combat patch on the guy kneeling far left?

Looks like the 82nd?

Looks like the 196th Inf Bde

Linedoggie

Patches, did you ever find any of NG in NYC wearing JJs? i had a look but came up with nothing.

I wore them in 1985-86 with the C/1/71st infantry Rgt NYARNG out of the Jamaica queens armory.

Instructors of the 82nd Airborne Division Recondo Course at Fort Bragg around 1984/1985. Notice the guy on the far left is wearing a BDU cap. Also, it appears that some of the guys are wearing long sleave undershirts beneath their uniforms suggesting these jungle fatigues might have been worn in cooler weather and perhaps year round. Also note that all are wearing slant pocket jungle jackets except for the guy third from right on the back row who has a straight pocket shirt.

Those appear to be wool Jungle Sweaters.

flashesandovals

SF member (back row to the right) attending a briefing during Operation Power Pack that took place in the Dominican Republic in 1965-1966

post-9154-0-49006700-1431774026.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Cant remember where I got this pic, might be on the forum already but its possibly Fort Bragg '63-'65.

Definitely early because of type 1 JJs, white t shirts, no foreign jump wings and black boots. Also the pistol belts worn with JJs looks cool

Pistol belts w/jungles were regulation on Bragg back then. As I recall, SF was the only one's wearing them, but that was 50 years ago!!!

Stateside Special Forces, most likely sometime in the late 60s/early 70s, conducting a weapons demonstration by apparently letting one of the civilians fire an M60. Most likely at Fort Bragg.

post-1761-0-04339500-1434557010.jpg

The same unidentified Special Forces officer appears in two different photos taken at Fort Benning around 1967. Any of you SF experts recognize this officer?

post-1761-0-20613100-1434557125.jpg

post-1761-0-84346000-1434557148.jpg

The same unidentified Special Forces officer appears in two different photos taken at Fort Benning around 1967. Any of you SF experts recognize this officer?

Looks like Colonel Mike Kirby to me.