Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

3 hours ago, 63 RECON said:

yeah definitely another topic on these, i think Kammo man posted about them

I can't find it ?

• 7 months later...

After I graduated from Training Group in November 1967, I was assigned to Company D, 7th SFGA and I was issued I believe 4 sets of Jungle Fatigues.  The only time we could wear them was when we were in the field and a pistol belt was required.  Most of the regular commanders believed we should not wear them but if we did, a belt would be worn.  I guess that if other soldiers wore regular fatigues and belts were exposed, we too had to wear a visual belt.  The picture of me was taken in March 1968 while supporting  FTX Gobbler Wood, which was the final exercise before the officers graduated from SF course.  Once the support was over, I had to return to the regular fatigue.  Back then I elected to wear the color shoulder patch, everything else was subdued.  When I was assigned to the 10th SFGA at Fort Devens, we were required to wear regular fatigues unless we were in the field, then we could wear JF.

5-7th SFGA, Ft Bragg, NC - 19680300 - FTX Gobbler Wood Spt-06.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Photo caption from Facebook says "With "A" Co, 96th Civil Affairs Bn, US Army John F Kennedy Center for Military Assistance, attached to 3rd Bde, 82nd Airborne Division, "Bold Eagle '76," Eglin Air Force Base (Fall 1976)". Interestingly, it looks like he is wearing a full color JFK Special Warfare Center SSI which was not authorized that late.

Jungle Fatigues.JFK SWC.1976.jpg

3 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

Photo caption from Facebook says "With "A" Co, 96th Civil Affairs Bn, US Army John F Kennedy Center for Military Assistance, attached to 3rd Bde, 82nd Airborne Division, "Bold Eagle '76," Eglin Air Force Base (Fall 1976)". Interestingly, it looks like he is wearing a full color JFK Special Warfare Center SSI which was not authorized that late.

Jungle Fatigues.JFK SWC.1976.jpgCapture.PNG.31943aaed2b784877210b9fa304e1f76.PNG

That along with the AIRBORNE Tab would definitely be a subdued one Sean, it just the sun shining on it making the OD look yellow-sh tan-sh,, the center design on the color one, the Lamp or is it a Brazier, we is White as well, not Yellow like the rest of the design.

• 4 weeks later...
Manchu Warrior

I have had this photo for years and I was looking at it yesterday and then read this thread and decided to add it. On the back it states  MG Thomas Corbin, Captain Donald J. Dunn DFC 16June68 Elgin AFB.

IMG_2341.JPG.0a215014f3d798c295ded31b8c239655.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found this partially stripped Tropical Coat that was once worn by a Captain of the Engineer Center and School, we guess in the 80s in Summertime, either at Fort Leonard Wood Missouri, or Fort Belvoir Virginia, it looks like it is dated 1970

partially stripped.jpg

partially stripped. w3.jpg

• 1 month later...

A Tropical Coat once worn by a Lieutenant Colonel of the 193rd Infantry Brigade (Sep) in Panama Canal Zone, a Vietnam 9th Inf Div Vet., date worn? As a LTC of Infantry perhaps the Old Man of one of the brigade's Infantry Battalions.

tropical 6.jpg

tropical.PNG

tropical 5.jpg

15 hours ago, patches said:

A Tropical Coat once worn by one  Sergeant Major Cecil Ames in the 80s, after the SPECIAL FORCES Tab came out.

tropical 7.PNG

SGM Cecil Edwin Ames. During a stand down in Sept./Oct 1968, he designed the RT RATTLER pocket patch. (Source: The team's history has been documented in the book: MAC V SOG: Team History of a Clandestine Army, Volume IX. by Jason Hardy)SGM Cecil Edwin Ames, Jr, (retired) 71 and wife SGM Alice Marie Ames, (retired) 75 of Fayetteville, NC passed away at the Cape Fear Valley Medical Center. Cecil departed on Sept. 9th and was joined shortly thereafter by Alice on Sept. 12th. Cecil was born in 1946 to Cecil and Mary Ames in Lane County, Oregon.SGM Cecil Ames (Ret) was assigned to USASOC Units and served in various assignments as a Special Forces Soldier. He served multiple tours in Vietnam and other regions of Southeast Asia. SGM Ames' (Ret) was honored with numerous awards and decorations for his valorous deeds during service, including the Silver Star, Purple Heart, Bronze Star (X2) and Vietnam Gallantry Cross. After 27 years of faithful service, SGM Ames (Ret) retired

8e076b9d0a94be877613eda2cabe828b.jpg

JJ worn by Jerry Jairrels, Jerry served with RECON TEAM INTRUDER as an EM, discharged in the late 70s, came back as a officer in the National Guard, in the 167th Support Brigade. So he is wearing this post '83 still.

167th Support Brigade.jpg

• 1 year later...

Found this online, a 11th ACR Vet serving in the 5th Inf Div. A qualified Drill Sergeant we see, that it has a Black Diamond brings it into the BDU era we should think, like say 1983 1985, as the 5th Inf Div no longer wears it's famous Red Diamond patch no more because of the new BDUs.

statesid tropical.PNG

statesid tropical 1.PNG

statesid tropical 2.PNG

5th ID was at Ft. Polk Louisiana in the 80s. I was there 85-87. As Patches points out, the subdued ssi is from this time. We didn't have lightweight bdu's at that time so when processing in we received two sets of jungle fatigues. These were worn as shown above and with the bdu cap. I know they stopped the issue sometime in 86 but we could still wear them. When the lightweight bdu's hit the supply system you got two sets issued and if you turned in your tropicals, you could get two more as the tropicals were turned in at the division level where TA=50 came from and the other two sets came from unit supply.      Scott

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Member of the 549th MP Company in Panama. At first I thought this would have been in the 80's and he was wearing a woodland BDU cap with his jungle fatigues, which was very common. However, this soldier served in Panama from 1976 to 1978. On second look, it appears his cap is some sort of local made version. 

Jungle Fatigues.549th MP Company.Panama Canal.jpg

• 6 months later...

Command Sergeant Major John Will McDowell Jr 193rd Infantry Brigade (Sep) as is the Captain next to him, and the Officer presenting trophy wearing the type in The Canal Zone in the 70s, brigade sub-unit unknown. If you look closely it seems the left hand unit is wearing Tropicals, while the right hand unit is not, they are wearing standard fatigues.

n.PNG

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Purple129
On 3/2/2017 at 8:06 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Members of the Joint Casualty Resolution Center. Although this unit operated throughout Southeast Asia, I believe these were actually taken in Hawaii.

post-1761-0-20053000-1488470752_thumb.jpg

post-1761-0-36913800-1488470781_thumb.jpg

The top photo of the Field Elements was taken in Camp Samae San, Thailand, after their move from Nakhon Phnom RTAFB in late 1974.  Far right is the element commander, LTC Sully Fontaine.  Standing far left is MSG Larry 'Six Pack' (c/s from CCC) White and standing 3rd from left is MAJ Jim Grimshaw.  Kneeling behind Al is SSG Steve Wilson.

The bottom photo is the movement of CPT Dick Reis from Tan Son Nhut, RVN, to Thailand for mortuary affairs and return to CONUS after his JCRC Field Team was attacked in December 1973.  The two FT members in front carrying his body are SFC Al Weicksel and SFC 'Fast Eddy' Blakemore.  They're both in the top photo, as well, Al's seated in the center and Fast Eddy is kneeling in the second row (2nd from right).  

DOL

Marshallj
On 9/11/2021 at 10:38 PM, patches said:

Troops of the 82nd Airborne Division and attached two Air Force guys wearing the type in Puerto Rico in 1984.

hy.PNG

Airman is wearing his AF gloves. 😉