Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

Boy wish this would of been in place when I was at Hood in the 1st Cav in summer of 1980, this wearing of Tropical Fatiques, but it wasn't, not only would it of been most welcome, also it would of been cool, for me at least, to wear these older style fatiques.

post-34986-0-55667900-1372396173.jpg

Here's a day we could of used them, me as acting TC (I was an E-2, this field problem my squad leader made me TC, perhaps to give me some experience in being a TC) it's morning out in the field, and already promises to be another very hot Central Texas July day :D.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a composite from two pages out of a 1985 issue of Soldier magazine showing members of the 101st Airborne Division in jungle fatigues demonstrating artillery firing to cadets at West Point during summer training.

post-1761-0-03830900-1510235660_thumb.jpg

On the left is Lt. Col. Tommie R. Lewis, commander of the 1st Battalion 108th Armor 48th Infantry Brigade of the Georgia National Guard at Fort Stewart, Georgia - July 1985. He appears to be wearing olive green jungle fatigues but his jacket has the buttons for rolling up the sleeves that were found on the camouflaged BDUs but not normally found on Vietnam era jungle fatigues. Olive green RDF fatigues perhaps?

post-1761-0-50391600-1510580624_thumb.jpg

Georgia Governor Joe Frank Harris visiting troops of the Georgia National Guard's 1st Battalion 121st Infantry at Fort Stewart -1985. Note the soldier over the governor's right shoulder is wearing jungle fatigues and also note the soldier in the right foreground appears to be wearing OG-107 fatigues. All are still wearing the M-1 helmet.

post-1761-0-79307500-1510580948_thumb.jpg

Georgia Governor Joe Frank Harris visiting troops of the Georgia National Guard's 1st Battalion 121st Infantry at Fort Stewart -1985. The soldier second from left in jungle fatigues is wearing the SSI of the 48th Infantry Brigade while the soldier on the right in jungle fatigues is wearing the Georgia National Guard SSI.

post-1761-0-04521900-1510581169_thumb.jpg

On the left is Lt. Col. Tommie R. Lewis, commander of the 1st Battalion 108th Armor 48th Infantry Brigade of the Georgia National Guard at Fort Stewart, Georgia - July 1985. He appears to be wearing olive green jungle fatigues but his jacket has the buttons for rolling up the sleeves that were found on the camouflaged BDUs but not normally found on Vietnam era jungle fatigues. Olive green RDF fatigues perhaps?

Could be the SWI poplin suits made in the 80s with both rounded and square edge RDF & jungle pockets. They also made a square edge angle chest pocket.

USAF members wearing jungle jackets and cut off jungle trousers on Runit Island Enewetak Atoll around the late '70s

Airman on the right appears to be wearing the same type of Tropical "Bush" hat worn by female drill sergeants in the US Army.

Airman on the right appears to be wearing the same type of Tropical "Bush" hat worn by female drill sergeants in the US Army.

That's what it looks like right. But the ones in the 1970s iinto the 80s were Grey. Now much darker color, but these darker ones would of been worn back then of course.

post-34986-0-89584200-1511835338.jpg

VolunteerArmoury

USAF members wearing jungle jackets and cut off jungle trousers on Runit Island Enewetak Atoll around the late '70s

That's what it looks like right. But the ones in the 1970s iinto the 80s were Grey. Now much darker color, but these darker ones would of been worn back then of course.

attachicon.gif067986afddbc13.jpg

I believe it’s the HGU-18/P Tropical Hat.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Vietnam era.

post-34986-0-80650500-1516171490_thumb.jpg

Co B 2nd Bn 501st Inf (Abn) at Fort Campbell 1967, the rest of the 101 was alerted at this time for the RVN, and like we're now discovering with other units being sent as units there, that they started to be issued the tropical uniform in mass, note too the subdued sleeve ranks.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Whoops,make that U.S. ARMY PACIFIC, had my head in my two point contact there :lol:

Your head was in your calf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your head was in your calf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, meant my 4th LOL, see had my head up there again LOL.

• 2 months later...

Benning, 3rd Batt 75th Rangers. Mostly the 60s tropical coats worn, with at least one, many a couple more of the RDF type ODs.

post-34986-0-60660600-1527049305_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I didn't know exactly where to post this picture. I'm assuming this was taken in Vietnam since that's General Creighton W. Abrams on the left. It's interesting to me because I don't think I've ever seen a female wearing jungle fatigues, even in Vietnam.

post-1761-0-21416800-1531252152.jpg