Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

Ranger, wearing a combat patch probably from Grenada, mid-80s. Note the foliage on his gear.

Unedited image:

post-3045-0-90677100-1463349407.jpeg

It was taken on 22 January 1986, and was originally captioned "Three U.S. Army Rangers participate in a training exercise. The Ranger in the foreground is armed with an M-16A1 carbine."

The center Ranger in the photograph is (at the time of the photograph) Sergeant Vincent John Lombardi Jr. (no relation to the football legend - even though his nickname was "coach"). He was a Grenada (Operation Urgent Fury) veteran hence the dual Ranger scrolls on his OG-106 uniform. He served in the United States Army for twenty-two years, attaining the rank of Major. He sadly passed on 18 February 2003.

Of course my publisher used this image for the cover of the book.

These images came up on ePay awhile back, but were labeled as being in "Vietnam"...ugh. They are actually taken at Pohakuloa Training Area sometime in the late 1970s (possibly even early 1980s) - hence the ALICE equipment. But since they were labeled "Vietnam" someone highly out bid me on them...

post-3045-0-31323200-1463349755.jpg

post-3045-0-13374900-1463349766.jpg

post-3045-0-57010900-1463349926.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Unedited image:

attachicon.gifDA-ST-86-02617.JPEG

It was taken on 22 January 1986, and was originally captioned "Three U.S. Army Rangers participate in a training exercise. The Ranger in the foreground is armed with an M-16A1 carbine."

The center Ranger in the photograph is (at the time of the photograph) Sergeant Vincent John Lombardi Jr. (no relation to the football legend - even though his nickname was "coach"). He was a Grenada (Operation Urgent Fury) veteran hence the dual Ranger scrolls on his OG-106 uniform. He served in the United States Army for twenty-two years, attaining the rank of Major. He sadly passed on 18 February 2003.

Of course my publisher used this image for the cover of the book.

http://www.usmountainranger.org/memorial/2005/lombardi.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Here's one with an Erdl shirt being worn with a matching beret in some post war war games from my research for my Cammo book

• 2 weeks later...

Major General John Joseph Hayes, CO of the 2nd Logistical Command, wearing jungle fatigues on Okinawa during Operation Red Hat, the 1971 removal of chemical weapons from Okinawa to Johnston Island

post-1761-0-92039900-1466170736.jpg

Major General John Joseph Hayes, CO of the 2nd Logistical Command, wearing jungle fatigues on Okinawa during Operation Red Hat, the 1971 removal of chemical weapons from Okinawa to Johnston Island

Great image. I was on Okinawa at the time. Soldiers from all the Army units on Oki were pulled from their organizations to assist in the operation. I wish I had acquired one of the locally made "Red Hat" DUI's someone had made. It was a little red baseball-style cap.

Great image. I was on Okinawa at the time. Soldiers from all the Army units on Oki were pulled from their organizations to assist in the operation. I wish I had acquired one of the locally made "Red Hat" DUI's someone had made. It was a little red baseball-style cap.

From the wikipedia page of the 267th Chemical Company that was involved in Operation Red Hat.

post-1761-0-99052400-1466174424.jpg

From the wikipedia page of the 267th Chemical Company that was involved in Operation Red Hat.

The ones I saw (and failed to pick up) were just like the cap, but plain with no unit designation.

• 2 weeks later...

While very pleased at the direction this topic has taken, I'll Go back to my original intention of posting a photo of the type being worn outside of Southeast Asia WHILE the War was still ongoing in the 1960s, I scanned this Green Beret of the 8th Group in Panama in 1968, if it wasn't for the flash on the beret you would think it was taken in the RVN right.

post-34986-0-91052200-1466905973.jpg

A Spec 4 Stephen Donovan in January 1968.

post-34986-0-70603600-1466906181.jpg

Anda one more of the 8th Group in the 60s, here a 1st Pattern exposed pocket is seen.

Photo came from this site of this Vet, a lot of great photos from the period, as well as a little bit about the vet himself.

http://www.bobwirt.com/

Major General Herbert Temple of the California National Guard in the center, probably taken in Panama as the colonel on the left is wearing the 193rd Infantry Brigade SSI.

post-1761-0-87915100-1467292216.jpg

Another one showing General Herbert Temple of the California National Guard (in civilian attire) probably in Puerto Rico as the soldier on the right is wearing the SSI of the Puerto Rico National Guard's 92nd Infantry Brigade. Not the female soldier is also wearing the standard jungle fatigue since there was no specific female version of the uniform. Can anyone ID her SSI?

post-1761-0-59352800-1467292406.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does somebody know if the green jungle fatigues were also worn by tank crew in West Germany in the seventies ?

Does somebody know if the green jungle fatigues were also worn by tank crew in West Germany in the seventies ?

There's an experimental jungle uniform in sateen issued to tank crews around that time. , it mirrored the ripstop suit but had Velcro name tag and a belt like the m42 para jackets.

• 4 weeks later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Seriously Doubt it.

Pickle Suits, Steel Pots, Mixed M-56 Gear. By 1982 the BDU made an appearance but no Jungle Fatigues. I kept all my jungle fatigues because I couldn't wear them outside of CONUS unlesss it was in a tropical unit.

Rock

ERDL jungle fatigues worn by a soldier of the Infantry School at Fort Benning. From the January-February 1979 issue of Infantry Magazine. He appears to be wearing a full color Ranger tab.

post-1761-0-96718000-1473553625_thumb.jpg