Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

That's no SF officer, it's a WWII draft dodger by the name Marion Morrison.

Never heard the "draft dodger" tag in relation to JW-- I thought that he was deferred because of his age.

Please share specifics/ source.

Scott

Never heard the "draft dodger" tag in relation to JW-- I thought that he was deferred because of his age.

Please share specifics/ source.

Scott

That has been thrown out now and again. He was initially classified 3-A due to family dependency, then in 1944 he was reclassified 1-A. Republic Pictures requested a change due to the bond drives, etc. and he was classified 2-A (deferred in national interest). John Ford who directed many of Wayne's movies was in charge of a unit in the OSS and the National Archives has a copy of Marion Morrison's application to the OSS. So the term draft-dodger doesn't really apply here.

This link goes into much more detail:http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2010/02/28/john-wayne-world-war-ii-and-the-draft/

That has been thrown out now and again. He was initially classified 3-A due to family dependency, then in 1944 he was reclassified 1-A. Republic Pictures requested a change due to the bond drives, etc. and he was classified 2-A (deferred in national interest). John Ford who directed many of Wayne's movies was in charge of a unit in the OSS and the National Archives has a copy of Marion Morrison's application to the OSS. So the term draft-dodger doesn't really apply here.

This link goes into much more detail:http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2010/02/28/john-wayne-world-war-ii-and-the-draft/

Thanks much for the information, Beast.

Didn't think the term was appropriate!

Scott

ERDL worn by man on left

To my eye it looks more like the RDF pattern. It's very likely they both were worn in Grenada.

To my eye it looks more like the RDF pattern. It's very likely they both were worn in Grenada.

Could be, just looked like the pockets are angled.

I thought JW had a knee injury he rode for a deferment.

This has been questioned by some with no resolve.

The real Col in the pic is Col Welch, Co of the Army Parachiute School at the time.

He pinned on my wings as I was Distinguished Honor Graduate for some reason.

seanmc1114

U.S. Army Special Forces, presumably from Fort Bragg, confer in Cades Cove before joining the search for Dennis Martin, 6, on June 18, 1969 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

post-1761-0-83897600-1435754323.jpg

U.S. Army Special Forces, presumably from Fort Bragg, confer in Cades Cove before joining the search for Dennis Martin, 6, on June 18, 1969 in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

They appear to be 6th Groupers out of Bragg.