Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

I just realized this is in Thailand thus negating the "outside SE Asia"

Still cool for 1987 though

That would be the Vietnam Era were talking about. I guess I goofed in my new topic title, my intent was to try and show, and or have other members add photos of this item being worn outside SE Asia while the war was still ongoing, because thats when it would of been most uncommon.

"Looking a lot like Cervantes’ Don Quixote Gerald Kelly, a Green Beret officer working for the Organization of American States in 1969 during the “Soccer War” between Honduras and El Salvador, keeps the peace atop his steed"

post-117117-0-28074300-1418360288.jpg

"Looking a lot like Cervantes’ Don Quixote Gerald Kelly, a Green Beret officer working for the Organization of American States in 1969 during the “Soccer War” between Honduras and El Salvador, keeps the peace atop his steed"

The Football War, now there's a good topic for a new Osprey Men at Arms volume :D

The same shirt worn by Lt. Cmdr. Schaufelberger that is in the above post. I found it in a vintage clothes store in Hollwood about 10yrs ago.

post-532-0-62859100-1418366444.jpg

Here are two of the same guy while serving as a sniper with the Scout Platoon, 1st Battalion 279th Infantry 45th Infantry Brigade of the Oklahoma National Guard. The first is olive green jungle fatigues worn at Fort Carson, Colorado in 1973. The second is a set of ERDL's worn at Fort Chaffee, Arkansas in 1976.

post-1761-0-40009200-1418486680.jpg

post-1761-0-95928500-1418486691.jpg

Members of Company B 3rd Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment - 1984. Note that while most are wearing jackets with slant pockets, at least three, including the captain on the second row, are wearing the straight pocket style. Is that the RDF pattern?

post-1761-0-17260300-1418521578.jpg

A photo of a forum member (bryang) i pinched from another forum. i hope that's cool.

2 guys at back wearing erdl. I believe its Germany but perhaps Bryang could let us know.

post-117117-0-39912000-1418642094.jpg

A photo of a forum member (bryang) i pinched from another forum. i hope that's cool.

2 guys at back wearing erdl. I believe its Germany but perhaps Bryang could let us know.

Interesting, they must be from this unit, 5th Infantry Platoon (Pathfinder), Fort Meade, MD 97th ARCOM, administratively attached to HQ 11th SFGA and later assigned to HQ 31st Aviation Group.

And are wearing both this patch and this crest on the flash

post-34986-0-49825200-1418667873.jpg post-34986-0-90167600-1418668796.jpg

Does ROTC in the late 1970's count? Me and my friends off to the Pennsylvania woods to play Aggressor Team against the Freshman class. I have on the ERDL while my friend Don has on the OD. Bought this from the local surplus store and wore the heck out of it.

Don is already wearing his Armor brass. I believe he went onto a long an glorious career in that branch, spending a lot of it at Tank Automotive Command.

Aggressor Fall 76 3 small.jpg

Aggressor c small.jpg

Here's one I've had for several years. I know nothing about it's owner and I think I got it off e-Bay. It is a 1970 dated jungle jacket and all of the insignia has uniform sewing and appears to have been there quite a while. I doubt it's a put-together and I'm sure the owner must have had an interesting military career. A Special Forces qualified Military Intelligence officer of the 3rd Signal Brigade Military who earned a CIB most likely with the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam. The 3rd Signal Brigade SSI was approved by TIOH in 1979 and the Special Forces tab was approved 1983, so this probably dates to sometime in the mid to late 80's.

post-1761-0-46870900-1418761328.jpg

post-1761-0-75771300-1418761338.jpg

post-1761-0-38848700-1418761349.jpg

PFC. Maureen Daugherty, the first U.S. military woman to make a parachute jump in Bolivia, straps on her gear during Fuerzas Unidas Bolivia, a joint U.S. and Bolivian training exercise. 1986

post-117117-0-50750000-1418763931.jpeg

Here's one I've had for several years. I know nothing about it's owner and I think I got it off e-Bay. It is a 1970 dated jungle jacket and all of the insignia has uniform sewing and appears to have been there quite a while. I doubt it's a put-together and I'm sure the owner must have had an interesting military career. A Special Forces qualified Military Intelligence officer of the 3rd Signal Brigade Military who earned a CIB most likely with the 1st Cavalry Division in Vietnam. The 3rd Signal Brigade SSI was approved by TIOH in 1979 and the Special Forces tab was approved 1983, so this probably dates to sometime in the mid to late 80's.

3rd Signal Bde must have been the organic signal brigade for III Corps out of Fort Hood? If so that makes sense - My ARNG did Annual Training (Summer camp) at Hood in 1984 and when we were there they were selling OG-107 jungle fatigue sets for $7.00 per piece at the clothing sales store. The OG-107's had been authorized for limited wear in hot weather environments (and central Texas in June certainly met that criteria!) This was supposed to be a stopgap measure until the hot weather BDU (HWBDU) was fielded. We were never authorized to wear them but I bought a set - don't know what ever happened to it.

As for that jacket, Captain Jenkins must have been enlisted in a prior life, or he had a long break in service. That's the only way I can think that someone would have Vietnam Service with the 1st Cav (which I think left VN in 1971?) and still be a captain circa 1985.

In this , YOUR case Spike, it "fell" into the "right" hands!

...NOT someone else's TG (Thank God)....who WOULD have used it

To paint his house!!!!!

The same shirt worn by Lt. Cmdr. Schaufelberger that is in the above post. I found it in a vintage clothes store in Hollwood about 10yrs ago.

attachicon.gif AS shirt.JPG