Tropical Coats Worn Outside Southeast Asia.

patches

Thanks for adding photo RECON, true they were worn in Vietnam, but select units of the Army and Air Force were issued ERDLs as a standard issue in the 1970s, generally for field use. The OD one's as mentioned could and were issued out and worn by units in say Panama, or at some posts during summer months in the early 80s as an alternative for the first run of the BDUs which were heavy weight. I guess the general idea I had when I started this topic was to show OD Tropical Coats being worn in areas of the world where you really woudn't expect to see them being worn either during the war itself ( like the late 60s one in Germany) or in the 70s.

Where's that photo of one being worn in Greenland :lol:

But seriously, I'm gonna check around for images of the Kagnew Station, and bases in Turkey, I'm wondering if they were wore there. If anyone finds them, add them here.

I hear you, i want to see more in Germany, Turkey and other places but those pictures are proving allusive.

If we are going to include ERDL... this is a photo from a recruiting brochure titled "This is the Army In Europe" from the mid-1970's. Reportedly the recon elements of the 8th ID wore ERDL uniforms.

Army Europe Writing Home ERDL.JPG

A group of WWII Ranger veterans visiting Camp Rudder, Florida sometime during 1970 or 1971. The two active duty officers are wearing jungle fatigues including the one second from left who appears to be wearing a first pattern jacket with exposed buttons although I don't see any eppaulettes.

post-1761-0-97703600-1418005270.jpg

Interesting 8th ID photos. The buildings look like the barracks at Baumholder. The Triangle symbol on the Gamma Goat is probably for an Aggressor Force.

April 1980 - Senior Airman Coliyer of the United States Air Force 51st Security Police Squadron wearing an ERDL helmet cover and uniform while training at Rodriguez Range, South Korea.

post-1761-0-26408400-1418008628.jpg

Pathfinder of an unknown unit wearing ERDL jungle fatigues probably later 70's/early 80's. I can't tell if the SSI is XVIII Airborne Corps or 82nd Airborne Division.

post-1761-0-06522300-1418009387.jpg

NCO of the XVIII Airborne Corps wearing ERDL jungle fatigues. Note he has his SSI sewn on and pin-on rank and jump wings but no tapes.

post-1761-0-01832700-1418009605.jpg

U.S. soldiers demonstrate to Venezuelan military personnel how to move with a litter up the side of a mountain during para-rescue training near Caracas. (1973)

post-1761-0-24333500-1418059628.jpg

From the same group of pics, Ranger in Germany Ex Reforger '83 or '84. Cant really tell if its a JJ but im thinking it is as hes wearing tropical trousers.

post-117117-0-52905300-1418287346.jpg

Pretty Sure guy in the middle is wearing one.

Members of the 4th Bn., 22nd Inf., 25th Inf. Div. (Light), maintain their position in a field during the joint Royal Thai/U.S. Army training Exercise Cobra Gold ‘87.

post-117117-0-66045000-1418344492.jpg