WWII Marine photo of Model 12 winchester and WWI grenade vest

oldabewla

Saw this photo in a recent gun book of the invasion of Okinawa April 1st 1945 of a Marine with his model 12 trench shot gun & WWI / USMC grenade vest used as a shotgun shell vest which the topic was addressed here before but questioned very neat!

post-7997-0-83837200-1417655851.jpg

It's in a Military surplus gun magazine found at Walmarts gun section! I purchased it when I went with the wife out on black Friday ( USMC PHOTO)

That's a pretty well known image of 1st Bn, 7th Marines going over the seawall during the initial landings. In spite of the "action poses" they are actually going in unopposed. The Japanese had retreated inland and the landing forces met no opposition on the beaches.

You guys are right, looking more closely it's clearly a model 12. I thought maybe the hammer was covered by part of the web gear, but the receiver shape as doyler points out is a model 12. I had an old caption say it was an M97.

Cheers,

-Steve

That just might be an early '40s Marine Depot-made Vest in the first photo. They would definitely make good Shotshell Carriers.