Where to get some preserving supplies for the war room and pointers

David D

Like the title says, i am looking for some pointers on where to get certain items to display, yet keep my collection well preserved. So if you guys could help point me in the right direction, that would be great! I am looking for the following.

~Some archival frames that are relatively big

~some sleeves to keep my patch collection in

And i have some questions.

~What is the best type of display method for displaying helmets/ liners. Right now i used the paper towel holder for right now but im looking to get a head. I have heard some horror stories about Styrofoam but my war room is not hot. So should i get a glass one but those are pretty pricey.

~How should i display uniforms, i am looking into getting a torso mannequin or two. or should i just leave them in the closet?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

I use both paper towel stands and syrofoam heads. Both have good and bad points, but to get to your questions about protecting the helmet from the Styrofoam. I use the method put forth by member Trenchfoot. If you look at his earlier thread on his display, he explains how he uses women's stockings to cover the Styrofoam.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/202524-trenchrat-display-work-in-progress-opinions-welcome/page-7

I have begun to do this also and am using them on stand-alone Styrofoam heads. However the Styrofoam heads do have a bit of a balance problem with heavier headgear such as helmets. Many of the Styrofoam heads that I use have a hole in the bottom The solution that I have found is to cut down to a proper height a paper towel stand and insert it into the bottom of the Styrofoam head. This provides it with adequate stability.

Good luck and hope to see your display posted soon!

Archival frames are pricey, and you have to be willing to make the investment for the display. I won't recommend a site, since when I bought mine the site was having a big sale, their normal prices seem to be on par with most other places. Make sure it's archival, acid free and UV resistant if you want to go this route. Additionally, get some acid free matte board. You can buy pre-cut ones, or you can buy large sheets and cut it to size with an XACTO blade. Much more cost effective to do the latter, I get 20x32 inch sheets for 6-8 bucks at Michaels craft, where as a 4x6 precut usually starts around 2-3 bucks each. Cut out a border and place it between the glass and item being framed to prevent any condensation damage adhering your item to the glass

Styrofoam heads, I've never had a problem with them, but you could always wrap them in cloth or stockings like mentioned above. I use generic, faceless heads I bought off eBay, they tend to have a shorter neck and a larger base, the lower profile and base makes them more stable. Can't remember if I got them on Amazon or eBay, but I bought a case of 6 fairly cheaply

If you're going to put a uniform on a torso, then display it, otherwise save your money and buy some nice sturdy hangers if you're going to keep them packed away. You have many options, eBay and Amazon have oodles of the plastic hollow back torsos, which are alright if the uniform is fairly light, buy I wouldn't put anything heavy on them, and since they're hollow back and stackable, belts and kits won't work with them. Otherwise, I recommend trolling craigslist, they tend to pop up cheaper than eBay and no shipping to pick up, they can get pricey online. I bought 3 a couple weeks ago for a good deal.

Many uniform collectors invest in racks like retail stores or dry cleaners have, and hang them up. I only collect very interesting uniforms, so I have a couple in the closet, but enough display room for more of them since I'm really picky, knowing I'm limited on space and they consume it rapidly.

Many thanks for the suggestions. And as I only collect a few specific units, I thing my closet would go it for uniforms. Also, if I get some matte board it would be okay if I just use standard frames granted I keep the sun out not to expose the documents. I will have to look into finding some good priced torsos. Thanks again, Brig.

-Dave

I use regular frames for less pricey photos, since I intend to hang them in my hall en masse out of the sun, and I can't be paying a couple grand to frame them all,. but I do use the matte in there and an acid free card stock backing to keep the image off the back of the frame since I don't know if it's acidic

I do the same with regular frames, simply use acid free matte and you should be ok IMO. I just keep them in my display room which has uv blocking windows and near 100% uv blocking from the blinds.

I think sun, bugs, or moisture are a worse enemy than acid in frames. I've seen a lot more pieces screwed up by those three things than any acid in a frame. Take that for what it's worth.

-Brian

I should add that I usually just get the frames 50% off at hobby lobby and there or michael's should have acid free matte that they will cut to your frame size... Or cut your own.

I would have just edited my post but tapatalk won't let me on this forum.

-Brian

Thanks, guys. So I guess I will be saving some $$ by using your advice. Now I need to get some heavy blinds for the room.

-Dave

Thanks, guys. So I guess I will be saving some $$ by using your advice. Now I need to get some heavy blinds for the room.

-Dave

I use thermal insulating blinds, keeps the lights out and keep the horrid Carolina heat and humidity out, I keep a ceiling fan circulating on low all year, as well

I had my wife make me some black out curtains out of heavy black upolstery material. It's pitch black in there in the middle of the day with the door shut.

Mike

Ours are cordless and got them (they will cut to size) from Lowes.

Even wal-mart has blackout/thermal shades in their curtain section.

-Brian

Here's a few helmet display ideas, The first is a small easel from Hobby Lobby and works great with M-1917's with painted tops:
post-1726-1251823179.jpg

The second is a wire plate holder from Hobby Lobby. These work nice for M-1917's also and give them a nice tip forward so you can see the front.
post-1726-1251822894.jpg

The third way is a glorified display stand like those shown here. I used to sell these years ago, if you PM me, I'll tell you how to make them.
post-1726-1251743744.jpg

The last one is a simple display stand like these below. I sell these on eBay(Blatant sales pitch)
Display Stands eBay.jpg

I basically do the same and use old wood candlesticks I find at St. Vinnies or Goodwill for ~25cents.

I cover the top piece with felt pad just in case and for Hawley liners especially.

Here is a comparison of headgear displays with the Styrofoam heads. I like how the stocking covered displays present a cleaner display while protecting the headgear from the Styrofoam.

post-203-0-87324500-1417876639.jpg post-203-0-25081300-1417876667.jpg

I like how the stocking covered displays present a cleaner display while protecting the headgear from the Styrofoam.

I agree..

Plain white they just look cheap also IMO. Covered they look more classy.. and the white distracts too much from the headgear you truly want to show.

I suppose you could even do more layers of the stocking so that you couldn't see styrofoam of the head at all..

or what about if you used women's tights?? (they are usually not transparent)

looks great!

-Brian

Dave,

I like these muslin dust covers when keeping uniforms stored in closets. A little pricey but they do the job well. These are available at www.gaylord.com

Mike

post-104736-0-57549800-1417878052.jpg

Well, in a thread where I started out inspiring others with some ideas, this one inspired me! I went out and grabbed some pantyhose and put them on the styrofoam heads in my collection...kind of a hazy gray tint to the faces and hides the foam texture...looks great. This is why I frequent the display and preservation forums