I found one of my grails--The Team in Pictures: A Pictorial History of the AATTV 1962-1972

Longhorn92

One of my primary areas of interest is the AATTV. This book was published for the AATTV association back in '92. I'd imagine 500 or so were printed although I can't be certain.

I've been looking for it for about 16-17 years and although one or two pop up from time-to-time they are stupid expensive. A book shop Down Under had a couple over the past few years and I finally said "life is too short--I'm getting it."

It's in decent shape though I wish it were minty. It's also named and signed by a member.

I think there are 2 for sale now and I'm guessing, sadly, that we'll start seeing more as the vets pass on and their families sell things.

I'm so happy to finally have a copy. I've wanted this book since just about pre-internet days and even hired a book search company to find one, to no avail.

It's on my shelf now!

post-15696-0-52805100-1417575776.jpg

post-15696-0-37660800-1417575787.jpg

post-15696-0-05091600-1417575800.jpg

Isn't there another book called "The First Team" that is much thicker and has fewer photographs? Or am I just thinking of another set of books?

RP, you're thinking of "The Team," by Ian McNeill, which is a history of the AATTV. It's a great book and much easier to find.

I was looking through my new book yesterday and found there's a nice pic of the guy who signed my copy.

When you are going through the book see if there is a picture of Arthur "Robbie" Robinson. He was a real character who served with me. If you find one could you scan it if it is not difficult. He was awarded the Silver Star and ACM.

• 6 years later...

It’s a dark pic to begin with so this is about as good as it gets.

Doesn’t appear he has a name tape or other insignia, just on his epaulettes.

3525670A-DBC8-4B50-B859-592B57BF75F9.jpeg

Thank you! Any idea if the use of name tapes and patches by the Aussies was more common later in the war?  

Maybe. But I’ve seen plenty of pics of AATTV personnel wearing insignia on all kinds of field uniforms. Some are early, some are late.