B-3 shearling repairs..

arnhem_art

Hi all,

I started looking at B-3's a couple of years ago, and went ahead and bought a couple. I'm a guy who in carcollectorland rather buys a DeSoto, than a Mustang or 57 Chevy. So, everybody telling me how fragile this stuff is, and impossible to find in good condition, only made it more interesting to me. But then you open your first box, and 5 minutes later a sleeve comes off, then it's another story. Ooops wow, they are fragile.

I looked everywhere for repair guys, most people did not have the machines, the knowledge or skill. Or, they asked outrageous prices. Last year, a Russian lady tried her best on my "least"jacket, she replaced cuffs, repaired here and there, the first minute I was happy, and then I looked a little better..ouch!

She replaced the cuffs with her own idea of them...and the repair to the back tore loose almost immediately.

Now a year later, I found a new repair guy. This time someone who cared for details and authenticity. I gave him the "least" acket to practice,plus some trousers with excellent material.

He replaced the cuffs again, and unfortunately had to make them a little longer, vause the lady just cut the arms too short.. He also replaced the whole backpanel. All with the correct cotton thread. I could not be happier with the result. More jackets are on its way...Enjoy the pics.

post-54843-0-34934900-1417545980.jpg

post-54843-0-06483900-1417545999.jpg

mattsmilitary

I had one that needed repair so bad I ended up buying another in better shape for my display and sold the really messed up one. I was never able to find anyone in my area that could restore it.

Yours looks good. The tear in the first pic is not as bad as the one I had before.

I recently had an Air Corps mechanics jacket and pants repaired by a boot repair shop. They also repaired all sorts of leather products so I took my jacket and pants in and the man did a great job. It is going on a permanant display mannequin so I am not concerned that some of the leather patch repair was on the inside of the armpits and shoulders..

Leigh

That's a pretty perfect repair - great seamwork. Does your repair guy deal primarily with vintage items? I ask, as I may be needing a reference for a vintage item that requires old fashioned chain stitching, machines for the job. Please PM if you'd be willing to pass along his contact info!

Stellar work, I fixed up a B-3 once and I can tell you it was not easy and my job did not look half as good but the damage was more extensive though (B-3 repro had been cut up by an irate wife (not mine)). I ended up having to replace a huge back panel on the back and fixing all the cuts....