How to date a Presidential Unit Citation award?

zbcdn

Captainofthe7th

From my observations, usually the WWII awards will be pinback vs. clutchback. If it is clutchback, the pins will be shorter than the longer modern pins. The frame will also tend to have symmetrical prongs, not offset, and will not usually be very shiny.

Then you get into hallmarks, which are clear indications of newer manufacture, like V21 etc. Also, the weave and material of the ribbon can sometimes indicate new vs. old.

I think about this often and i'm not sure if there is any good way of identifying WWII originals other than simply having a feel for what is right and what is not. Let me try to find a patent or something. There are always exceptions.

Rob

Rob, you are always a fountain of knowledge. So hard to tell without having one in your hand. I had one break on me but I do not add or repair anything in my collection. I think putting a correct PUC on a tunic would be the exception to my rule, but I just don't want to make a mistake.

Captainofthe7th

Thanks for the kind words. What broke on your PUC? I think you can make an exception to the rule by repairing/replacing items. It might hurt since it creates something of an anachronism, but in the effort of preservation, I think it is justified.

Rob