1920 mills cartridge belt possible USMC?

hbtcoveralls

I know somebody posted an almost identical cartridge belt some time ago on the forum (having the same markings) I just couldn't find whether or not it was determined if it was USMC or something else. I'd love an opinion about it. It's really in mint condition apparently unused.

Tom Bowers

post-2138-0-65223300-1417368592.jpg

post-2138-0-83069100-1417368646.jpg

post-2138-0-15432500-1417368742.jpg

post-2138-0-50404700-1417368808.jpg

Looks like a 1st Marine division UNIS marking! Amazing belt! UNIS marked items are one of my favorite items to collect. finding a 1st marine division marked item is pretty uncommon. You see lots of 4th marine division marked items but very few marked to other divisions. Congrats on the great score!

I just remembered I have a P2 canteen cover with a marking with a white paint background. I wonder if thats 1st Marine division related hmmmm...

That's 1stMarDiv, all right.

I had one identical to it years ago, but even though it looked great, the fabric was rotted. This could be the same one maybe...?

That's 1stMarDiv, all right.

I had one identical to it years ago, but even though it looked great, the fabric was rotted. This could be the same one maybe...?

I picked this one up at a flea market in Pennsylvania probably 15 years ago. Seems to be in great shape not dry like you might expect. Have any idea when they started marking them like this?

Tom Bowers

Those UNIS stamps didn't come into use, as far as I know, until around 1942 or '43, and they were always done by hand with or without stencils.