ARVN rank on US uniform regulations?

ReverendJake

I have seen several examples of ARVN officer insignia worn by US officers, usually between the second and third buttons of a fatigue shirt or jungle jacket. I was wondering if there were any regulations relating to this practice. Was this insignia ever work on class A's?

That was done by personnel in advisory positions; that's all I've ever seen, anyway. If there were actually any solid regs on it, they'd have been at unit level, nothing army wide.

I've never seen them on Class A's. But maybe someone else has.

I agree with what Longhorn92 states, no real regulation, I've seen them worn all over the field uniforms for Advisors of all ranks, but I've never seen it on a Class A or a Dress Blue.

The practice was revived in Desert Storm. I remember seeing photos of Norman Schwarzkopf wearing Saudi rank in the same manner.

Thanks! I've also seen the Saudi rank. Does anyone know of any other ranks of foreign militaries that have been work by US soldiers?

I think I have seen the same for Korean equivalent rank, Japan, and possibly Thai as well.

You see it most often where there are Joint Commands, advisers, or joint exercises.

I have seen US uniforms with ARVN rank worn on the chest AND left pocket flap.

owen

Do you have any examples of this? I've never seen it.

VolunteerArmoury

I didn't take a photo but a buddy of mine who just left Saudi Arabia earlier this year wore Saudi Army rank on his uniform along with everyone else on that mission. I have some Iraqi rank that I bought in Al Assad that appeared to be made to go on an ACU rank tab along with with American rank. So it is absolutely still worn. Many of the posts I've been at that have foreign nationals, the Nationals wear American rank on their uniform usually as brass pin on rank.

thefallenbuddha

ARVN officer rank (speaking for Vietnamese) could be worn between the buttons (as mentioned) or on the collar. It depended on the policy of the particular unit or even the individual. Enlisted could appear between the buttons or on the shoulder. In some cases rank was also worn above the pocket as well, but these were usually only beercan type. Again, this is just speaking for regular Vietnamese troops.