Tennessee Military Collectors Association... The Father/Son grouping I found at the show

tarbridge

At the Thanksgiving show held in Franklin, Tn.It is always a well attended and busy show.The selling has been great and the buying as well. I was able to land this Father and Son grouping.

The Father was in the 2nd Inf Regt of the 5th Division. They were in Patton's Third Army and came ashore shortly after D-Day.I have not done any other research. ..

rps20141128_184356.jpgrps20141128_184506.jpg

Joseph Fekete Jr's son was KIA during Vietnam...here is his grouping. ..

rps20141128_183902.jpgrps20141128_185002.jpg

Awarded for actions during the Vietnam War

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress July 9, 1918 (amended by an act of July 25, 1963), takes pride in presenting the Silver Star (Posthumously) to Sergeant First Class James Charles Fekete (ASN: RA-15538821), United States Army, for gallantry in action while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force as a member of Detachment A-219, Company B, 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1st Special Forces, in the Republic of Vietnam. Sergeant First Class Fekete distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions on 15 June 1967 while serving as Special Forces Commander of a Mike Force company during a mission to relieve a beleaguered Vietnamese unit near Dak To. As Sergeant Fekete's company moved along a trail in a heavily wooded area, it received a sudden outburst of Viet Cong machine gun fire from concealed fortified positions. Realizing that the insurgents were trying to surround his unit, Sergeant Fekete immediately ordered two elements to flank the enemy. The hostile fire intensified and began to inflict casualties on his unit. Sergeant Fekete spotted two machine guns which were key positions in enabling the Viet Cong to pin down his men. He took three men with him and worked his way toward the hostile emplacement. When he was close enough to the machine guns, he jumped up, heedless of his own safety in the face of the intense fire, and charged, firing his rifle. He was mortally wounded in this valiant attempt to silence the weapons which were threatening his men. Sergeant First Class Fekete's gallantry in action, at the cost of his life, was in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflects great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

General Orders: Headquarters, U.S. Army Vietnam, General Orders No. 3857 (July 28, 1967)

Action Date: June 15, 1967

Service: Army

Company: Detachment A-219, Company B

Regiment: 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne)

Division: 1st Special Forces

rps20141128_184013.jpg

"And God said Who shall we send and I answered, I am here, send me

rps20141128_185403.jpg

Hello Robert, the research should yield some very interesting service by the Father. Nicaraguan Service with the Marine Corps and then a Military Cross awarded by Great Britain. Silver Star recipient and wounded.

The Son served with the 5th Group and saw significant combat during the Vietnam war.

Very nice groups.

Robert,

It was indeed an honor to see the Medals of these two warriors up close and personal. Thank you for posting the information for all of us to see what real courage involves often at the cost of ones life or limb.

John

• 1 month later...

Robert they are amazing groups to a father and son. The Military Cross citation signed by Patton is amazing. They are one of my all time favorite groups I can see why you have it setting on your desk.! It's great that things are re-posted since I missed these the first time.

Dick