Vietnamese Montagnard Presentation Shirt.

irish

This is a bringback from a Military Intelligence NCO serving in Vietnam during 1966 and 1967.

Serving with Advisory Teams #35 and #33. He was the Senior Intelligence NCO for the Khanh Hoa Sector, of which Nha Trang was located.

In addition a picture of him wearing the shirt. Interestingly another individual who served in Adv Team #33 identified the location of the photo as outside the main gate in Ban Me Thout.

See next post

post-758-0-33854000-1417133864.jpg

Very kool shirt and having a pic of him wearing it in-country is uber kool!

Some additional items in the group. Crossbow and Arrows as well as a Spear. the arrow quiver has a presentation from Mr. Y-Tui Nie Hrah: Assistant District Chief of Administration Khan Duong District.

Spear is long at 66" and tipped with a well made and sharp metal point. The crossbow is also well made measuring 42" x 42" and looking quite usable as opposed to a souvenir item. Inside the quiver when emptied out was a spare trigger for the crossbow.

post-758-0-41049800-1417189115.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some additional items belonging to this group.;

Wild looking Ceremonial Rice Wine Straw ( thanks Doyler for helping to ID this piece) and three Montagnard Bracelets. The map in background shows Montagnard Tribal locations. Prepared by the U.S. Special Warfare Dept.

post-758-0-11474400-1421506762.jpg

Manchu Warrior

Just yesterday I was looking through a 1965 National Geographic that had photos of Special Forces soldiers wearing these shirts. I was wondering what they where and its no surprise that I found the answer on this forum.

Amazing group.

Nice detail to the cross bow.

I wonder how long it took to make a montagnard shirts like this one? Any idea?

Again, super cool group. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best

Martin

Just as an aside, here's a photo of a Montagnard loincloth that a MACV SOG vet was presented and brought back. The vet's bringback collection was sold and broken up - I was only able to buy a Dac Cong uniform that he had captured. These Montagnard items are extremely interesting and my congrats go out to the OP on the fantastic addition to his collection. If I were younger I might pursue this line of collecting.

post-56764-0-05874900-1421687237.jpg

Just as an aside, here's a photo of a Montagnard loincloth that a MACV SOG vet was presented and brought back. The vet's bringback collection was sold and broken up - I was only able to buy a Dac Cong uniform that he had captured. These Montagnard items are extremely interesting and my congrats go out to the OP on the fantastic addition to his collection. If I were younger I might pursue this line of collecting.

Is that the pool at Camp Coryell?

• 2 years later...

Amazing, correct Ceremonial Shirt. Very difficult to find these in larger sizes. Vintage 60's versions of these shirts are now impossible to find in any condition, attributed or not to US person. A dying art, and the Ede and other Yard tribes who could make these shirts are sadly persecuted or gone.