Aerial Gunner

craig_pickrall

I've got an original unused decal sheet of Las Vegas Army Air Field insignia... I'll see if I can dig it out and either scan or photograph it. As I recall, the emblem was pretty groovy lookin', as is the one on this t-shirt.

Fade to Black...

Alrighty, here 'tis!

It's a bit more grungy than I recall, but the images are still intact and in mostly good shape. It's a real cool design... I paint patches on leather and I think this may be one of my next pieces!

DCP_7528a.jpg

I also remembered that I had a Bob Hope radio show which was broadcast from Las Vegas AAF in 1943... right-click, save. (MP3 format)

43-11-09 - Guest - Jane Wyman Las Vegas AAF Gunnery School 6.23MB

Fade to Black...

General Apathy

post-344-1171020347.jpg

Hi Craig Pickrall for starting this thread. I have attached a photograph of an identification badge that I have. It can be seen that this is the first one made and it is numbered ' 000 ' and 'Sample ' has been written across it. The cover is two part see through plastic with pin back, when the picture had been inserted and the rear cover slid into place a brass rivit was added at the bottom to secure and prevent forgeries being made by fifth coloumists. Cheers ( Lewis )

Some very nice stuff there! I live about nine hours north of LV and am allways looking for that stuff....it's HARD!

Gary

post-344-1171020347.jpg

Hi Craig Pickrall for starting this thread. I have attached a photograph of an identification badge that I have. It can be seen that this is the first one made and it is numbered ' 000 ' and 'Sample ' has been written across it. The cover is two part see through plastic with pin back, when the picture had been inserted and the rear cover slid into place a brass rivit was added at the bottom to secure and prevent forgeries being made by fifth coloumists. Cheers ( Lewis )

Thanks for posting - maybe you can post some of your painted patches?

John

I've been thinking of doing that, yes. Perhaps I'll start a thread...

Fade to Black...

• 3 months later...

Hello,

Nice topic. The first four pics show a gun. I would like to make shure -- is this Browning AN M2 .30 aircraft gun?

Best regards

Greg

That is a cool t-shirt! Thanks for posting!

John

I'm going to have to do some digging. There was a fellow in Toledo, OH who was reproducing the Las Vegas lizard shirt and other WWII t-shirts he could find. I also have his AAF logo shirt and his Mosquito Fleet (PT Boats) shirt, both patterned from original photos.

I'll see what I can find and get back.

Tom thumbsup.gif

• 6 months later...
I'm going to have to do some digging. There was a fellow in Toledo, OH who was reproducing the Las Vegas lizard shirt and other WWII t-shirts he could find. I also have his AAF logo shirt and his Mosquito Fleet (PT Boats) shirt, both patterned from original photos.

I'll see what I can find and get back.

Tom thumbsup.gif

Well, it took me quite a while but I finally came up with the data on the shirts. I had to do quite a bit of searching to come up with Mike Shea's phone number. Anyhow, I have posted the information he sent me in the "For Sale" area here at USMF. A link to get you there is:

http://tinyurl.com/32z5s5

These are great shirts and I hope you guys buy the heck out of them! As I say in the For Sale posting, I have no interest in his business. However, if he would happen to send me a free T-shirt, I certainly am not going to argue!

Tom :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Yes it is the ANM2 .30 cal. The ANM2 .50 cal would look huge in the gunners hands.

Hello,

Nice topic. The first four pics show a gun. I would like to make shure -- is this Browning AN M2 .30 aircraft gun?

Best regards

Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Johnny Signor

really neat to see this design as I painted it on the back of a cloth flight jacket some years ago for a man that went through the course there, he enjoyed having it and I got a kick out of recreating it for him, thanks for posting the shots!!!!

Curious Granddaughter

Thank you so much for posting this!!!! My grandfather went to Aerial Gunnery School in Las Vegas. I actually have some copies of his training manual posted on this site. I'm going to order him the shirt you posted - he will get such a huge kick out of that!!!!

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry337545

Ash

• 3 months later...