12th Air Force First Style Felt Patch

GeneralLucas

It is an original patch, but I am going to bet that the edge has been trimmed due to stitch damage or mothing. It does NOT appear to be one of the zillions of Patch King examples, which to me is a real plus.

Allan

Allan can you elaborate or show examples of waht you speak of for reference please

The "Patch King" type has cheesecloth backing on the reverse. This one does not, making it a much nicer patch. The majority of "WW2" felt patches with cheesecloth backing are Patch King. A good rule of thumb to consider when buying early Cavalry Division patches.

The "Patch King" type has cheesecloth backing on the reverse. This one does not, making it a much nicer patch. The majority of "WW2" felt patches with cheesecloth backing are Patch King. A good rule of thumb to consider when buying early Cavalry Division patches.

Hey Kurt, how are things? I have another stupid question :( . What is patch king?

Hey Kurt, how are things? I have another stupid question :( . What is patch king?

Patch King was a vendor that sold surplus patches up through the 1970's. Many of them were factory overruns or actual surplus. But they also manufactured collectors copies of some of the rarer patches, including a full line of WWI patches.

Many folks my age got started collecting military patches by answering their ad in the back of Boy's Life for 40 patches for a $1. That included some chevrons and overseas bars, but it was surprising how many decent government issued WWII patches came with those sets.

Please use the SEARCH bar in the upper right hand corner of our website frame and type in the words "Patch King"... this is a topic we have previously covered in much more detail.

Patch King was a vendor that sold surplus patches up through the 1970's. Many of them were factory overruns or actual surplus. But they also manufactured collectors copies of some of the rarer patches, including a full line of WWI patches.

Many folks my age got started collecting military patches by answering their ad in the back of Boy's Life for 40 patches for a $1. That included some chevrons and overseas bars, but it was surprising how many decent government issued WWII patches came with those sets.

Please use the SEARCH bar in the upper right hand corner of our website frame and type in the words "Patch King"... this is a topic we have previously covered in much more detail.

Thanks! Sorry I will use the search bar next time :blush: