US M-1 manufacturer after 1951 ?

WorldWarHelmets

WorldWarHelmets

Hi everyone,

Which are manufacturers for the US M-1 after 1951 ?

I know only Mc Cord, is there others ?

Thanks for futurs answers.

Regards Xavier.

because of environmental concerns, Hadfield manganese steel could no longer be produced in the US. Production was in Canada for the last M1 helmet contracts.

WorldWarHelmets

Thanks for your answers !

I search especially informations for M-1 helmet produced between 1951 and 1963.

I know only Mc Cord was the only manufacturer for the period 51-june 58 with some nearly 400 000 helmets produced.

But what's happened between 58 and 63 ?

Thanks a lot. thumbsup.gif

WorldWarHelmets

I've so an other question about double stamped CAPAC and westinghouse 51-52 liners ?

Is it a liner made by CAPAC during ww2 and webbed in 51-52 by westinghouse ? Or the inverse ?

Or not a refurbished liner but a total made after war ?

Thanks.

yes, me too!

i have an M1 helmet stamped 1281J on the inside by the visor. any idea on dates and manufacturer? it has swivel bail with sewn-on straps, black hardware, no letter or anchor on clasp (no ball either). edges of helmet are not "silvered"..... thanks in advance.

-rob

WorldWarHelmets

Hi,

Your helmet seems to be a Mc Cord made, after 1958...

It's only that I know about it.

++

WorldWarHelmets
I've so an other question about double stamped CAPAC and westinghouse 51-52 liners ?

Is it a liner made by CAPAC during ww2 and webbed in 51-52 by westinghouse ? Or the inverse ?

Or not a refurbished liner but a total made after war ?

Thanks.

Nobody can help me ?

++

Captainofthe7th

They're Westinghouse produced liner shells left over from WWII and webbed by CAPAC in 1952 for the Korean War.

Rob

WorldWarHelmets

Thanks for your answer !

The problem is the double marking (Capac/Westinghouse) is done in relief. This means that it's a mould Capac or Westinhouse dating from World War II that has been modified by one of them.

I don't think that these liner's shells has been produced by Capac or Westinhouse during ww2, but well produced in 51-51 by one of them with a mould dating from ww2.

What do you think? I know it's complicated :blink:

++

Question #1 : What manuafacturers produced the post 1951 M-1 helmet body: McCord up until 1961; McCord and Ingersoll from 1961 up until 1965. After 1965, McCord dropped out and for the m1966 Ingersoll, Parish (Dana Compnay), and R.J. Stampings Company were the final producers. The final contract was placed in 1976.

Hope this helps!

Ken

WorldWarHelmets

Thanks for your informations about the helmet shell !

But the double stamps capac/westinghouse stay a mystery for me ermm.gif

If you've some informations about it ?

Have a nice day.

Regards Xavier.

Double stamped liners are manufactured on re-deployed molds. Former CAPAC molds re-used by Westinghouse for example. Firestone re-used Inland molds during WW2 and double stamped ( Firestone-Inland ) WW2 liners can be found. After WW2 several molds were "re-issued" to different companies, who gave the molds their own stamp without romoving the stamp of the previous owner. ;)

WorldWarHelmets

Thanks for your answer !

So it's more probable that's a capac mould reissued by westinghouse, because number 51, 52 and westinghouse marking aren't perfectly inline.

Perhaps a stupid question, but why have this only fabrication (capac/westinghouse) green painted A-washers ?

Is there WW2 liner refurbished after 51, with partial HBT suspension replaced ? If yes, by whose manufacturer ?

Thanks a lot.

Regards Xavier.

You're welcome. ;) It is quite possible that the liner has green A-washers because these were used in some '52 liners as well ( as far as I know, post-war A-washers were made of steel painted black but od painted A-washers can be found as well ). There were many liners and linershells manufactured during ww2 and it's quite possible that some of the linershells which were leftovers were refurbished with new webbing and issued after the second world war. The main producers of the M1 liners during the '50's were Firestone, CAPAC and Westinghouse, do you have pictures of the liner you've mentioned?

• 2 weeks later...
They're Westinghouse produced liner shells left over from WWII and webbed by CAPAC in 1952 for the Korean War.

Rob

Both my Green Korean War era liners have the Westinghouse stamp and the CAPAC just under it.

WorldWarHelmets
Too bad I don't understand French, but the pictures tell it all! Nice site and nice helmets! thumbsup.gif

Thanks a lot.

I want to write my website in english, but I'ven't got enough time. Near 100 pages to translate crying.gif

The double stamping is in fact :

A ww2 capac mould reused by Westinghouse in 1951 (in these liners, we must found only the number 51), and during the year 1952, where Westinghouse have marked these mould with the number 52.

So, these liners are westinghouse made, but in an old capac mould.

++