US ADVISOR, FANK, CAMBODIA patches

STONEY

easterneagle87

This is a great story! So he was Army enlisted (enlisted Army Good Conduct on his uniform in the photo), then an Army officer (LT bar on beret) and finally a Marine Corps officer.  Hell of a journey! RIP 

Interestingly he wears his para wings above his aviator wings.  Not being critical at all, just curious as to the Corps' order of precedence.   

He enlisted in the Army and ended up getting selected for OCS and became an officer. He was a Ranger (which became his callsign when he flew jets) and Green Beret and of course airborne. I’m not sure on the placement of his wings. That’s how he always wore them. Maybe because he got his jump wings first? Speaking of jumping. When he was flying the harrier, he had to punch out when he was taking off and ended up punching out sideways. His jump training definitely kicked in and helped in landing/hitting the ground. The Stencel seat definitely did its job. Attached is the letter he sent to Stencel thanking them. He was an amazing man.

20EDC55C-8CE3-4EFE-AD61-D3BB53D470C6.jpeg

• 7 months later...

I'd like to get some opinions on these Laotian wings;  they were pinned to a TN State Guard BDU coat which had Special Forces SSI on it.  They're 'DRAGO', in mint condition, and serial-numbered.  Apparently Royal Lao Army jumpmasters have come to the States in recent times and awarded wings to State Guard personnel after they've completed the requisite training and jumps, so I'm guessing that's what this is from.  BDU dates to 1998.  Also, it's difficult to see, but the badge is pin-back.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2022 at 5:19 PM, MPage said:

I'd like to get some opinions on these Laotian wings;  they were pinned to a TN State Guard BDU coat which had Special Forces SSI on it.  They're 'DRAGO', in mint condition, and serial-numbered.  Apparently Royal Lao Army jumpmasters have come to the States in recent times and awarded wings to State Guard personnel after they've completed the requisite training and jumps, so I'm guessing that's what this is from.  BDU dates to 1998.  Also, it's difficult to see, but the badge is pin-back.

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Based on these photos your Laotian paratrooper wing doesn't look genuine.  The raised lettering looks very soft compared to the one pictured below made by the same French insignia firm of Drago.  You can see the finish on this French made badge which your badge lacks.  That pin back is the type you find on cheap costume jewelry and not used by any French insignia firm that I am aware of.  There were crude sand casting Laotian paratrooper wings made during the French Indochina War era but they don't look like this.  However the numbers look correct for size, placement and font so my guess is that the veteran has the original and had a few copies made for whatever reason.  

DSCF2957.JPG

DSCF2958.JPG

• 7 months later...
On 12/6/2021 at 6:13 PM, Ajruger said:

Here is his Green beret if anyone is interested.

971B9F27-4789-463F-90BD-FCE9E654178C.jpeg

44F22F1D-FA6D-4A1A-BE1B-782A464CE56A.jpeg

What a fantastic beret. Love to have that one!