Help Needed with Wings

BelligerentBlue

BelligerentBlue

Now I don't collect wings, though I've always liked and brought in unique items. I was at the local antique store today and ran across these wings.

They are all marked sterling, except the top one, though it seems to be sterling too? The thing that throws me off IS the top one. It's engraved with Pat on the face. No makers mark on the back and not marked sterling. My thought was jewlers made. I'm just wondering from those that know more about wings, what exactly am I looking? They guy wants $250 for the group, I'm most interested in the top one since it's engraved, but obviously I'll take the other 3 since they come as a group.

I appreciate your help.

post-86536-0-45023700-1416880305.jpg

Hi,

From the photo all the wings look good to me but to be positive the reverse would need to be sure. On a side note the navigator wing is a very nice one made by Bell. As to the value that is up to you but the price is high in my opinion.

You should be able to locate all the smaller wings on EBay and get an idea of there value. As for the personalized wing likely give to a girlfriend or wife that is really up to you.

Good luck!

Cheets

I would say that the "Pat" wing was a pilot's graduation wing (hence the lack of marking on the back side) that someone has buffed the shield on. I would guess that the engraved "Pat" would probably be for "Patrick" or "Patricia." I'm betting that a guy named Patrick graduated from flight school and gave this wing to his girlfriend back home.

I think the quoted price from the dealer is a bit high for what I am seeing. I would suggest that the top wing is not some sort of flight school or other oddity. To me, it is a sweetheart piece.

Allan

BelligerentBlue

Thanks guys. I had another gentleman contact me saying he had two wings like the top one. He said he got them straight from the vet and they were to WASP pilots that they got after graduation from school. I guess we'll never really know for sure... so they'll continue to sit at the local antique store.