1942 Dated US 10 Gallon Trash Can?

Caseydiggz

Bought at a flea market in Wisconsin, and was told that it was used as a trash can aboard a ship, but from pictures I've seen it looks similar to items in a field kitchen. The entire thing is painted light gray and has grooves along the edges . Any info would be appreciated.

post-7691-0-35721800-1416808333.jpg

Nice find! I have only seen a couple of single cans that belong to the entire set:

Cans, Corrugated, Nesting, Galvanized, with Cover

42-c-1720 10 gal

42-c-1730 16 gal

42-c-1740 24 gal

42-c-1750 32 gal

I haven't seen any reference to these being used with a field kitchen, but I'm sure they would have had some trash cans for trash. The 24 gal is the correct one for use with the immersion heater as well as the M1937 water heater.

And of course the lid and a mess spoon makes for a good reveille :D

Peter

Thanks for the positive replies! When I saw it I figured it probably wasn't the most displayable or collectable item, but the price was fair enough on it. Searches on the internet came up empty, do you guys think these were disposed of after their need was used up? Just curious as to why there don't appear to be many out there, since if they were indeed on ships there had to be tons made.

I never thought that I'd be taking pictures of my garbage can collection, but you guys started it.

First my 1942 32 gallon can that I use in my workshop. I don't have a lid for it.

MVC-012S.JPG

Next a 16 gallon can that is undated and no lid, next to another 32 gallon can that does have a lid.

MVC-009S.JPG

Close up of the nice US markings on the 32 gallon can.

MVC-010S.JPG

Other lids.MVC-007S.JPG

MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-013S.JPG

Years ago in the barracks at Indidntown Gap for the Battle of the Bulge re-enactment I noticed that our trash can was 1944 dated. I still wish I would have run to the hardware store and replaced it with a new one. Oh well

Tom Bowers

They are cleaning and sterilizing mess gear in those cans in hot water and hot soapy water, not getting soup. Didn't anyone around here go through Army field training in the 60's-70's?

Which reminds me of a story: a troop from Iowa (not the one I went with) at the national Jamboree thought the sterilization tablet was for drinking water. :). Needless to say a bunch of guys had to go to first aid and were sitting on the can for a few days... Not advisable at the jamboree.

We all thought they were dumbasses as soon as we heard what happened.

Sorry off topic but related to sterilizing mess kits.

-Brian

They are cleaning and sterilizing mess gear in those cans in hot water and hot soapy water, not getting soup. Didn't anyone around here go through Army field training in the 60's-70's?

i went off the description and had no reason to argue it lol