1918-1922 Marine Good Conduct Medal to Minnie E. Wright

kanemono

During WWI the many casualties decimated the ranks in all of the armed services. When it was discovered that there were still men in offices stateside who could be sent overseas as reinforcements, it was decided that their jobs could be filled by women for the duration. When the Marine Corps announced that women would be allowed to join the ranks in order to help “free a man to fight”, the response was rapid. In New York City alone, there were over 2000 prospective recruits who showed up at the recruiting office. The greatest occupational need was for stenographers, bookkeepers, accountants, and typists. The Marine Corps required women who were “of excellent character, neat appearance, and with business or office experience.” There wouldn’t be time to train the women, so the prospective recruits had to to demonstrate their abilities, hence, infamously rigorous exams. Out of 2000 women in New York alone, only FIVE were accepted. The 305 women who were finally selected for enlistment into the Marine Corps had unusually high speed and accuracy as stenographers and typists. Pvt. Minnie E. Wright was one of those 305 woman Marines, she served from 1918 until 1922, This small group includes her Marine Good Conduct medal, her WWI Victory medal, a medal she was awarded for first prize as a stenographer in 1912 and the EGA worn on her cap. I understand that the women that left the Marine Corps at the end of the war received a numbered Good Conduct medal and a WW1 Victory medal. I do not think many woman served beyond the end of the war so a Good Conduct medal dated 1922 is unusual.

Dick

post-9487-0-87855400-1416783616.jpg

post-9487-0-94708500-1416783630.jpg

post-9487-0-39859000-1416783639.jpg

post-9487-0-61168800-1416783651.jpg

post-9487-0-93502500-1416783667.jpg

post-9487-0-66502400-1416783681.jpg

Brian Dentino

Dick, this is an OUTSTANDING group to an early female Marine! I hope that those that view this realize how RARE and special this is......the GC is just fantastic and rare as hens teeth! Thanks for showing this to us here.....it is probably the one of a few that any of us will ever see in our lifetimes! Congrats on the great pick up!

Hello Dick!

Yet another incredible group. I know I've said this before, but your threads are always filled with great material. I've always admired the women who served (and of course presently serve). Back in the days of stereotyped roles, delineated by gender and race, it is always refreshing to see the "pioneers" of equality. This is a fine example of that. Thank you for posting it!

My best to you always,

Joe

Now that's not only a significant medal, but an oddity for those who specialize in GCM's as, as you stated, most would have received a rim numbered medal

Even better that it's not a single medal, but a small group

It looks like she went inactive in 1919 and the medal was retroactive, perhaps

Now that's not only a significant medal, but an oddity for those who specialize in GCM's as, as you stated, most would have received a rim numbered medal

Even better that it's not a single medal, but a small group

It looks like she went inactive in 1919 and the medal was retroactive, perhaps

Brig that's interesting that you bring this up as I was scratching my head over this. I have 2 WWI USMC silver star groups where both individuals were early 1918 enlistees and not just for the duration of the war. In their service file appears regular enlistment which entails to me that they were 4 year guys. After their service overseas both by 1919 were put on an inactive status one in August and the other September. They both appear in the March 1922 muster rolls under "Headquarters Eastern Reserve Division" but from the wording, which simply has their home addresses, appears they were not on active status. They both however have officially engraved (with engraved numbers) good conduct medals. There is however the phenomenon where Marines who enlisted in 1915 or 1916 and may have been with their respective units, with solid and clean records who saw overseas service yet were discharged with the mass downsizing of the Marine Corps from it's wartime peak of apx. 75,000 and since they did not complete their enlistment were not entitled to a GCM yet an April or May 1917 enlistee who enlisted for the duration of the war were sent an unnamed rim numbered good conduct. Very interesting and worthy of further investigation.

Semper Fi

Kevin

For the MGC medal collector, this should be the holy grail!

Or someone who collects women's items! :) This is the first one I have seen named to a woman.

...Kat

Dick - What a fantastic and RARE medal! I have NEVER seen such a wonderful historic grouping to a WM. Thank you so much for sharing and enlightening us! Semper Fi.........Bob

teufelhunde.ret

Or someone who collects women's items! :) This is the first one I have seen named to a woman.

...Kat

Buy yourself an early Christmas present...!

Thank you all for the comments. I was thrilled to be able to have such an unusual medal and to share it with all of you. Here are two more pages from her records that deal with her time from 1919 to 1922 and the USMC Reserve.

Dick

post-9487-0-03813000-1416846630.jpg

post-9487-0-69508000-1416846637.jpg

Buy yourself an early Christmas present...!

It would have to be about 10 years worth of presents! :D I have no idea of value but I know I could not afford this. :(

The EGA is unusual looking to me. What kind of EGA is this? I also noticed that the EGA appears to be sitting high on the women's caps. It looks higher than the men's overseas caps. Are there any know specs for these WWI women Marines?

....Kat

Here is an article on the woman Marine caps and uniforms. I believe the EGA is the M 1914-1922.

Thank you so much! That is very interesting.

Congrats on an AMAZING grouping...Kat

The EGA is the P1892...used regularly into the 20s, despite the introduction of the P1914. The service ones tended to be stamped rather than cast like the dress

There is a book published by the History and Museum Division of the USMC titled "Women Marines in the World War 1". There are quite a few copies listed on ebay.

Dick

post-9487-0-76344900-1416931342.jpg

A very nice group! The historical connection to a WWI woman Marine is cool enough, but the named GCM ties it all together and brings this to another level. It would be interesting to do moe research on her, but it sure can be difficult to research a female veteran due to names changing from marriage.

RC