E.W. Stone Knives or Knuckles References?

OldMarineVet

What's the best reference publication(s) for E.W. Stone Knives or Knuckles? I'm looking into the availability of Knife World, May 2002, article by E.W. Stone. Is there anything more current? Thank you for your help.

• 6 years later...

There are also two pages (pp 297 and 298) in The Best Of Military Knives, Bayonets & Machetes (M.H. Cole, 2002), which combines content from Cole I, Cole II, Cole III, and Cole IV.

The book is (to my knowledge) only available in hardback, is OOP and pretty expensive, but the illustrations, specifications, and other information (e.g., production estimates, designe features) pertaining to not only Stone, but several dozen other knives, bayonets and machetes is (pretty much) unmatched.

In all events, good luck with your quest to learn more about Stone's knives, which are really something to behold.

-L

PS: The knives that Mr Cole, author of the aforementioned book, made during the war are also darned special. I have knives by Cole and Stone and honestly could not tell you which, in my opinion, is more "valued" as a collectible artifact. I can state unequivocally that as a weapon to carry in the field, my preference is one or two of the Cole knives, exceeded only by a theater-modified K-BAR - knucked w/ a jagged iron "cage and fitted with a gruesome brass skullcrusher - named to one of Merrill's Marauders (i.e., U.S. Army Ranger). The "Ranger K-BAR" is also blackened -- no shine whatsoever -- and still damned sharp despite never (@ least to my eye) having never been sharpened.

Vol's 1 and 2 are incorporated into vol's 3 & 4.  1 & 2 become redundant.  Best of was a good compromise for 3 & 4 but doesn't include all the material of 3 & 4.  With the asking price of Best of being so high these days I've been advising people to concentrate on getting useable copies of 3 & 4 instead.