Korean War UNPIK Patches - Real or Fakes ?

sfcollector

Is there any way to get a clear shot front and back of the UNPIK patch.Scotty

The reason I am asking is I do not like unclear photos of any rare insignia.I have owned many of these and do not like the vertical corn row look of the back embroidery.This is what I am use to seeing but I would like a clearer shot to make sure if its real.Its all opinions and we are all wrong on some ofv these.Scotty

img465.jpg

img466.jpg

In reference to the all-bulls' question UNPFK stood for United Nations Partisan Forces Korea, and the in I believe late 1952 their was a name change to United Nations Partisan Infantry Korea.

The reason behind the change was that members could not earn the CIB. After the change of name you would expect that members would have received the award in Korea like in other wars, but many had to petition DA for their award after they returned to the U.S. With their petition it has to be substantiated by letters from other members that the individual served with the unit., For many it took many many years.

SF Collector could you measure the height and width of the UNPFK patch, the proportions does not look correct to me and the construction of the back is different from others that I have seen.

I do not believe that the Wolfpack patch is correct and it reminds me of patches reproduced for the units 50th Reunion. Original patches that I have seen are hand embroiled and are pieces of art. The enclosed patch looks very similar your patch posted except it is missing the word airborne under guerrilla. Different task force patches and badges were produced by Harry Pugh for the unit and offered to members when attending the units' 50th Reunion, and I believe your patch is unfortunately on of them.

post-468-0-13961000-1416940963.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies and guidance, and for posting images of the UNPIK and Woldpack patches.

The two I was questioning were in an ebay auction. Link here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNPFK-Airborne-GreenBeret-Grouping-Re-list-/331391410908?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=GAqsg3yO8qxa6JPWskrTRGIFHnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thats alot of money. There are more than a couple repro/reunion patches in the group. The pictures are so bad it is hard to tell what is good and what is not on a few items. I like the SF flashes and the white star pin. It sounds like the group got scattered in th wind a few years back. Here is what the group looked like 3 years ago: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/120731-unpik-boats-10th-sf-items/?hl=yosich&do=findComment&comment=1212797

Mitch

When I looked at the ebay link I realized I had seen this group before.I was sent scans of it 6-8 weeks ago.The Wolf Pack and the UNPFK in my opinion were not real then and thats still my opinion now.The back of the UNPFK is not right and the embroidery style is not right and I wish I were wrong but I dont think I am.I would love to see that UNPFK in the palm of my hand to confirm my suspicions.This group looks to me to be a UNPFK veterans reunion group just my two cents for what its worth.Scotty

Guys go to the forum search box at the top of the page.Tap in UNPFK when the search pages come up go to page two go six topics down to UNPFK patch Korea Patches started by outair 5th of june 2010 open it up and look for the UNPFK insignia.If you look at a clean crisp fake you will notice the vertical corn row embroidery on that one as well as the one that stated this post.The front look great the backs are not right.Scotty

Yes there would be but in 36 years I have never seen or heard of a real korean made UNPFK or UNPIK patch.It does not mean there may not be one but you would have to prove it to a very large group of collectors.Scotty

Garth Thompson

I'm with Scotty. The main patches in this lot were reproductions. I haven't seen as many as him but I've owned a few examples. Somebody wasted $900.

WorldWarPatches

no one wasted money. this thread was brought to my and the winner's attention. it will most likely be offered again. I informed the seller of this thread but have not heard back yet.

Thats because the seller was already told that the insignia was no good weeks ago.When something is not right suck it up and if you list it tell people others concerns with the item or items.I hope the winner can get his money back.Scotty

• 6 years later...

It would appear that another one of these UNPFK SSIs that there is some disagreement about whether or not it is an original piece has just sold on eBay for $315.00.   So now it is six years later since this thread was posted I'm wondering what the current consensus is concerning the authenticity of this UNPFK SSI?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Korean-War-1950s-1960s-US-ARMY-PATCH-UNPFK-8240th-AU-Special-Forces-ORIGINAL-/193817620046?nordt=true&nma=true&si=v8Z%2BBUc1l8dGtU94tlusKS5KTdg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Fake UNPFK (3).jpg

Fake UNPFK (4).jpg