My first helmet - restoration tips?

viking73

Im surprised the styro impact liner came out so easily. I thought they used a little dab of contact cement at the top area to keep it secure in the helmet. I could swear I remember reading that in regards to removing it and replacing the suspension liner with the TPL kit which uses a different impact liner which would be held in place by velcro, That styro liner is easy to remove with a tongue depressor separating the velcro.

Yeah I pulled it right out. There is a brown residue all around it, I'm sure from whatever was used to glue the liner to the shell. I imagine that over time it weakened enough to come loose.

-Derek

post-5482-0-70777700-1417805868.jpg

Hi,

Well it's been a slow week here, sorry for the lack of updates. I've been busy at work and I've just been taking my time smoothing out the shell, repairing the many scratches and gouges. Multiple sessions of Bondo/sand/prime repeat!! Not much to see really.

Today I applied the final primer coat. I was happy with the shell, it was looking good. I wet sanded it after the final primer coat and dried it off. It was time to paint. Here are some photos after my wet sanding session.

post-5482-0-50917300-1418424050.jpg

post-5482-0-15853400-1418424062.jpg

Once the shell was dry and dust free, I proceeded to paint. I added the first coat, and then applied a second a few hours later. I am very pleased with the results. Here are some photos.

-Derek

post-5482-0-80465600-1418424197.jpg

post-5482-0-63763000-1418424206.jpg

And a final photo. The paint looks different than the first two shots, I guess because I took the photo in a different location.

I'm going to let the paint dry/harden over the weekend. Then next week I will start the reassembly process. I have been gathering bits and pieces of the missing comm parts thanks to some generous collectors and also eBay :)

Stay tuned...

-Derek

post-5482-0-08214500-1418424389.jpg

Looking good!

Thanks Matt! I think so too. The "after" pictures will be much better than the "before" ones I think for sure...

-Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I wanted to post a few updates on my SPH-4. Here's some more photos, I've been working on putting it back together. Here's couple of shots of the wiring in place along with the suspension liner:

post-5482-0-69994100-1419457334.jpg

post-5482-0-70029100-1419457373.jpg

The black colored boom assembly is the correct length for a size XL helmet. The silver one is for a regular size. Difference is in the forward half of the boom as shown.

Hi Guys,

Well my "new" helmet is all finished up! Thanks for everyone's comments and encouragement here. It was really appreciated. This was a fund learning experience for me. I really didn't know a thing about SPH-4s.

The only thing I would still like to do to this helmet is remove more of the old gray paint off of the edge roll. I tried acetone and lacquer thinner. They both worked to a degree but that paint is so old I am worried about harming the rubber edge roll and the new paint. Someone here suggested MEK, that may be my best option.

On to some photos -

post-5482-0-16160400-1419786055.jpg

post-5482-0-25084100-1419786079.jpg

I also bought a styrofoam head this weekend at Hobby Lobby. This is how it's going to look on my shelf.

Thanks for following this thread, this was really fun! Now to look for more flight helmets for my collection... :)

-Derek

post-5482-0-30173000-1419786455.jpg

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind words.

I just bought what I think is a vintage USN SPH-3 with the dual visor. It appears to be complete. I'll be sure to post some photos of it when it arrives. Maybe someone will be able to I.D. the tape job on it for me.

Happy 2015 to everyone!

-Derek