USAF rank question.

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I purchased a group of uniforms date from the late 1940's transition period of the AAF to AF. This insignia is on the bush jacket. What rate is this with the diamond over the chevrons?

post-93-0-61197800-1416614766.jpg

He is asking what these are, not Tech Sgt stripes. These are Master Sgt. with the 1st diamond.

I get that. There are two pieces of separate rank there: master sergeant stripes with a first sergeant diamond designator (which I believe could also be worn above tech sergeant stripes and was not exclusive to master sergeant). Clear?

wartimecollectables.com

Interesting and still confused (I live alot of my life that way!). Is this a transition AAF/AF period rank only?

I don't think so,I saw rank like this on DMAFB in Tucson in the 1980s. What I was trying to explain (poorly) was the diamond was only worn by the first sergeant. Not all master sergeants were first sergeants and not all first sergeants were master sergeants. But in this case, the first sergeant was a master sergeant.

wartimecollectables.com

///the diamond was only worn by the first sergeant. Not all master sergeants were first sergeants and not all first sergeants were master sergeants. But in this case, the first sergeant was a master sergeant.

Thanks, I guess that's that part that confuses me! I thought both were separate rates and you were one or the other. I believe the 6 chevron rate was obsolete around 91. It's really an interesting group when you look at the combination of uniforms and insignia worn in that transition period. But nothing 'flashy' or sexy and won't draw much attention.

Thanks for you help fella's!

In the Air Force the First Sergeant is a position and the diamond is worn to denote someone in that position. If I remember correctly a First Sergeant had to be a Technical Sergeant and above. Before 1992 the diamond was sewn on the Senior and Chief Master Sergeant chevrons, the enameled metal chevrons were made with and without the diamond for those grades. A small metal diamond was made to be pinned above Master and Technical Sergeants for First Sergeants.

I thought the diamond could be used by T/Sgt at some point, too, but I can't find a reference for it. The official CHRONOLOGY OF THE ENLISTED RANK CHEVRON
OF THE UNITED STATES AIR FORCE
(PDF) mentions the first sergeant device as being approved in 1954, but for M/Sgt only. Current USAF rules apply only to E-7 and above.

Justin B.

I didn't say it couldn't be worn on other ranks, i.e. Tech Sgt. I responded to his question as to the rank he posted, i.e. Master Sgt.

If he was asking a general question and not specifing the pictured rank, then I would have said the diamond is for a 1 Sgt and can be worn with others.

Not trying to argue. but I see when someone ask a specific question, folks go off on other directions that posters didn't didn't ask for and only confuses the issue more. Clear?

I get that. There are two pieces of separate rank there: master sergeant stripes with a first sergeant diamond designator (which I believe could also be worn above tech sergeant stripes and was not exclusive to master sergeant). Clear?

Technically, he asked what 'rate' this was, and as it is not a navy uniform, I could have said "Master Petty Airman, Senior Chief". THAT would be confusing. :D