Photo Great Grandfather: SpanAm?

Gents,

Going through the family albums I found the photo Ive been searching for since I heard about it...or rather a copy of the photo. As well as an Engraving: The originasl are with a cousin who I will try to reach out too- Anyhow, his name was Daniel Haffer. He was my grandfather's father and was from Maryland (Im told Prince Georges County.) He supposedly fought in Cuba but I am not sure, judgingon his gear it seems like none of it is Stateside wear and only in theatre??? I was hoping somebody could point me in the direction of the time frame of both military pics and his service/ unit? Thanks!

Nick C.

The full view is the main one I am wondering about, not stateside is it? The Engraving from his shoulder up is curious too, and the last is him in the 1940s before his death...Any help would be greatly appreciated! Daniel Haffer from Maryland...he has me stumped!

post-64499-0-44366500-1416597796.jpg

post-64499-0-22245600-1416597802.jpg

post-64499-0-20740800-1416597812.jpg

He did serve in the 38th Volunteer Infantry. The 38th also served in the Philippines, they arrived in December of 1899. I think the full body pic may have been taken in the Philippines. It looks like in the pic he has a Filipino Bolo Knife on his left hip

MANY MANY thanks gentlemen! That is US Volunteers right? Google has little on them, is there a combat history? And USMCR79 did you happen to notice why he was filing?

439th Signal Battalion

Nick,

Allow me to post an image of my great-grandfather, CPL Leonard L. Gouge, who also served with the 38th US Volunteers, Company F. He spent two years on the Philippines and was from Mitchell County, North Carolina. I will also attach a portion of his service record, which lists some of the engagements his company was involved in.

Send me a PM if you need more.

post-4009-0-42486000-1416661117.jpg

Below is the card Bill was referring to. It is in Ancestry's "U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934" database.

One thing I noticed on the standing photo, is what appears to be an 8th Corps pin on his campaign hat (an example also pictured below). That would fit with the photo being taken in the Philippines as well.

Also, it looks like he was in I Company.....that can be important as you begin to do your research, because often the different Companies ended up in slightly different places and skirmishes.

U.S., Civil War Pension Index: General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934

haffer_32959_032856_04289.jpg

There are several versions of this insignia, but the below will give you an idea of what it looks like:

2823_1.jpg

Looks like "somebody" needs to write off to the Archives in Washington DC!

That is a great entry for CPL Leonard L. Gouge....they are not always that specific or detailed....that means there is a good chance Haffer's will be just as good.

Wow! Many thanks all! You have made my day haha, forever grateful! He passed away in the 40s and I've never heard stories...piecing it together

• 2 months later...

Obviously, sometimes it does take a village!

Also, if you do not have an account with Ancestry.com, many if not all public libraries have a subscription that you can access for free on their computers. You may spend a lot of time digging through the databases, but I'm sure you'll find some good information on him from his military service and civilian life.

good luck!