WW I Uniform Identification Help

reinking71

reinking71

I have a WW I uniform with no insignia except three overseas stripes. The material is real fine wool, not rough like some. The lining is tan with no markings but the sleeves are lined in a striped material. There are no holes for collar disks but it does not have officers braid on the sleeves. The buttons are the WW I type but are made of plastic. It came with officers signal corps insignia on the collar.

What do I have?

Thanks

General Apathy
I have a WW I uniform with no insignia except three overseas stripes. The material is real fine wool, not rough like some. The lining is tan with no markings but the sleeves are lined in a striped material. There are no holes for collar disks but it does not have officers braid on the sleeves. The buttons are the WW I type but are made of plastic. It came with officers signal corps insignia on the collar.

What do I have?

Thanks

Hi Reinking71, have you checked along the bottom of the inside lining for a makers label, sometimes it is sewn on the reverse of the lining facing the woolen outer material. I hope you can find something there to help identification and date, good luck.

Cheers ( Lewis )

It sounds like it might be a private purchase officer's Summer weight tunic, with the Bakelite (Vegetable Ivory) buttons. Officer insignia were pinned on the collar, so there would be no need for a hole for a post. Why is their no braid or quatrafoil? Who knows. Based on your description, this is what it sounds like - but we really need pictures...

Patriot

Yep, that's exactly what it is. Private purchase officer's uniform with the Vegetable Ivory buttons. Not a bad looking uniform!

Patriot

Why is everyone insisting this is an officer's uniform? It has no cuff bands it is an enlisted man's uniform, it was not at all uncommon for enlisted men to have tailor made officer quality uniforms during and right after WWI.

teufelhunde.ret
it was not at all uncommon for enlisted men to have tailor made officer quality uniforms during and right after WWI.

... and that practice continues to this day.

Why is everyone insisting this is an officer's uniform? It has no cuff bands it is an enlisted man's uniform, it was not at all uncommon for enlisted men to have tailor made officer quality uniforms during and right after WWI.

Bingo ! I agree wholeheartedly.

I have had several private purchase enlisted uniforms and still own a few that are officer quality as described.

Steve

I have a different take on it. I am fully aware that officer quality enlisted uniforms do exist.

However: Reinking said that this uniform came with Signal Corps officer insignia on the collar. While it is entirely possible that the insignia was pinned on at a later date, no one can ever say for sure. The absence of officer cuff bands does not immediately indicate enlisted - I had at least one officer's uniform in the past that did not have the cuff bands for officer. Any scholar of uniforms of this period can attest that variation did exist, and not everyone had adhered to regulation.

I guess we can say that this uniform is either an officer quality enlisted uniform, or an officer's private purchase. If officer collar devices were found on this, I would leave them there, as there is a good chance that they are original to the uniform.

Patriot