US FORCES License Plate

doyler

Very nice. Later versions just said something like USA on them.

Back when that was issued, I think there were restrictions on the ranks that could register cars.

These are hard to come by, I have one from a little later on during the occupation but they can bring upwards of $45.00 to $70.00 dollars..

I have one from Berlin.. Same design and model but I think mine is a light green..

There was a spectacular Berlin Brigade website that had several of these plates on it but the webmaster and site is no longer up and running. It is too bad because the webmaster was a Polizei officer who worked with the 287th MP company in Berlin for years, and afterwards he had a dedicated website. His name was Reinhard. Not sure what happened to him or why the website shut down..

Leigh

Hard to say. To me Cold War items have always been undervalued.

You might scan eBay for Completed Listings of US Forces in Germanylicense plates. Opening bids on new listings range from $5 to $99 for 1950's plates.

If you had a set of two with matching numbers, these seem to be bringing $60 to $70 per set. Single ones have gone for between $40 to $50,

Hard to say. To me Cold War items have always been undervalued.

You might scan eBay for Completed Listings of US Forces in Germanylicense plates. Opening bids on new listings range from $5 to $99 for 1950's plates.

If you had a set of two with matching numbers, these seem to be bringing $60 to $70 per set. Single ones have gone for between $40 to $50,

Thanks

I guess it may also factor in on the year if one is looking for a certain date

Well... if you had all of the years except 1956, you'd probably pay more for it.

I am surprised they go for this much, as well as the prices Leigh pointed out.

There are people who collect license plates as their primary focus. I suppose to them, these are somewhat exotic. I don't think regular plates from the US from the 1950's go for this much, but I could be wrong.

These are hard to come by, I have one from a little later on during the occupation but they can bring upwards of $45.00 to $70.00 dollars..

I have one from Berlin.. Same design and model but I think mine is a light green..

There was a spectacular Berlin Brigade website that had several of these plates on it but the webmaster and site is no longer up and running. It is too bad because the webmaster was a Polizei officer who worked with the 287th MP company in Berlin for years, and afterwards he had a dedicated website. His name was Reinhard. Not sure what happened to him or why the website shut down..

Leigh

Thanks for the added info Leigh.

Well... if you had all of the years except 1956, you'd probably pay more for it.

I am surprised they go for this much, as well as the prices Leigh pointed out.

There are people who collect license plates as their primary focus. I suppose to them, these are somewhat exotic. I don't think regular plates from the US from the 1950's go for this much, but I could be wrong.

In the vintage car markets some want the plates that correspond to the vehicle year and see some pretty crazy prices for some plates.Have seen the roders here with 1957 plates on the 57 Chevy they drive,68 plates on the Cameros etc.

I am a VW guy also, and those plates are pretty popular amongst us as well. I have a set of 59 dated ones for my 58 Beetle.

Here is a period pic, I thought I would share.

post-534-0-32928100-1416526669.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am a VW guy also, and those plates are pretty popular amongst us as well. I have a set of 59 dated ones for my 58 Beetle.

That is a very nice picture..

Leigh

bootsandbooks

Not quite the same as U S Forces - these were issued by the Canal Zone government and required for all personnel, civilian or military. This was taken 1967 or 68 at Fort Clayton:

post-22812-0-86047600-1417558517.jpg

I had my share of VWs over the years. The attached picture is of my 1962 VW I purchased in Kaiserslautern, Germany in 1962. It cost $1280.00, complete with radio and white wall tires. The U.S. Forces in Germany license plate is red with white letters and border. The "J" prefix was issued in the Manheim-Ludwigshaven area. A quick comment on the gray fenders. The car was red, but I seemed to have a lot of trouble driving between the lines causing frequent fender replacement. Since they only cost $7.50 unpainted, I left them gray.

post-14361-0-57073700-1417560040.jpg

Always nice to see other VW guys out there! Nice splitty! It's pretty tough to find them out here, but I had a 56 a few years back. I bought it from a GI on APG, who just returned from Germany. It was still tagged with German plates, and he got me the Maryland title a few weeks later. I'll snap a picture of the German tag tomorrow. It had semaphores, KM speedo...no MPH, 6v electrics and a 1200cc kitten in the back that purred like a champ! I should have held onto that one!

• 1 month later...

I had to dig for this photo of my trusty Scirocco, circa 1982. This was taken outside the Technical Museum and Sinsheim. Notice anything in the background... Like a recently recovered Panzer Mk. III? It was a compare and contrast photo...

Also, on the top of the bumper is my Ft. Hood sticker from my previous assignment.

VW Scirocco small.jpg