Rare WWII Camp Toccoa Airborne Mechanical Pencil

APO472

Something one does not see every day. Original, WWII Mechanical pencil as available at the PX in 1942. Made from bakelite plastic and printed with "US Paratroops logo & Camp Toccoa. I 30+ years of researching the 506th I have only encountered 2 of these. They are RARE! Hope you enjoy! Thanks for looking.

post-261-0-42088400-1416261336.jpg

post-261-0-42351100-1416261386.jpg

post-261-0-21440300-1416261421.jpg

Jake,

Cool piece! I have only ever seen one other of these and it is in a guy's pencil collection. No amount of trying to trade for it would get it away from him.

I hope you're doing OK!

Allan

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. I would venture to guess that so few exist because they were probably a fairly expensive item at the time since they were mechanical pencils. A pennent or even stationary would have been much cheaper. Thanks again!

Allan, PM sent.

I had not thought of the novelty that would have been a mechanical pencil in the 1940s, but figured that it would have been the type of item that was used until it broke or was lost. Such a unique item - Thanks for letting us see it!

Kyle

Back when you had a better chance to finding stuff like this in the early 90s when GI stuff wasn't that big a collecting thing, I wouldn't have given this a second glance then as the design and typeface on the pencil looks way too modern for the WW2 area.

Not saying it's repro or from the pstwar era, just saying I would have probably thought that way back then, and can easily imagine passing over something like this, incorrectly thinking it was a veteran item or something like that...

Great item, Jake!

I did a little research and the mechanical pencil was first invented in the 1800's. And they have a page in lead for these in GI collectors guide vol. 2.

here is a picture of a WWII led box. post-151093-0-37829300-1416861036.jpg

-Dave

• 3 weeks later...