M1945 cargo pack dated 1944 - from 121st Infantry

Bob Hudson

Picked up lots of field gear this past week including a couple of packs. This pack has the "M-1945" label inside, but is stamped with a 1944 manufacture date (and has writing showing it was used at 1st Bn, 121st Inf. 8th Div.).

I don't see many of these and I am trying to figure out if some straps had been cut off?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Yes, this is actually an M1944 cargo pack modified to 1945 standards by having the quick releases cut off and other buckles added. This was mandated army-wide, and this is why M1944 upper and lower packs that are unmodified are very difficult to find. I would bet the 8th marking dates to the Korean War period when the 8th was in Europe.

Yes, this is actually an M1944 cargo pack modified to 1945 standards by having the quick releases cut off and other buckles added. This was mandated army-wide, and this is why M1944 upper and lower packs that are unmodified are very difficult to find. I would bet the 8th marking dates to the Korean War period when the 8th was in Europe.

That crossed out writing at the top of the one image does look like "8th" crossed out.

wikipedia says, "The 121st Infantry subsequently saw combat with the 8th Infantry Division in the European Theater of Operations during 1944-45."

In the same batch I got an upper field pack that really got chopped up: the remaining shoulder straps are held on with copper rivets.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

The 121 INF was inactivated in 1945. It reverted back to the National Guard in 1946 and became part of the 48 INF DIV. It was part of the 8 INF DIV in Europe during the Korean War.

The Back pack looks to have been modded by a surplus reseller. Quality of work would not pass muster in the military.

You have to wonder why someone felt the need to do all that bad work... :blink:

Bob,

You'll have to watch out for these packs!! I find these M1944 packs modified too more often to the m1945 or something else than I do in their original M1944 form and that's why in their original 1944 pack form systems are a lot harder to find and sell for $100 to $150 in mint unissed condition.

I've purchased these modified packs before by mistake so now I watch out for them and buy them for the right price and when I have all the correct parts from many pack purchases I'll take the nicest pack restored it back to it's correct style.

Craig

The 121 INF was inactivated in 1945. It reverted back to the National Guard in 1946 and became part of the 48 INF DIV. It was part of the 8 INF DIV in Europe during the Korean War.

I think you left out NOT in "It was part of the 8 INF DIV in Europe during the Korean War" atb :D

Agree then (apart from it being a 8th Div Korean War used one) with Baron, in that a late-ish 40s/1950s one used by a soldier of the Headquarters Company 1st Battalion 121st Inf Georgia National Guard, 48th Infantry Division. It would have to be one used however in the 1946-1955 time frame, November 1955 is the date the 48th Infantry Division was inactivated and reorganized as the 48th Armored Division, with the old Grey Bonnet Regiment being broken up, one unit retained the 121st's number, it being now called the 121st Armored Infantry Battalion, thus written abbreviated on any gear would be 121st AIB, or 121 AIB.

VolunteerArmoury

Currently 1st & 2nd Battalion 121st are the Infantry elements of the 48th Brigade. When I was in Det 1 HHC 1/121st the Battalion was headquartered in Winder, GA with Det 1 in Milledgeville, GA until it was changed to an ADA Battery in 1999 with all of HHC consolidated in Winder. Send the 48th came around in 1974. The 48th was a Round Out Brigade with the 24th then 3rd Divisions & in 1999, the 48th was one of the brigades of the multi componented 24th Division along with the 218th & 30th Brigades. From 1968 or so till 48th days I am thinking it was part of the 30th Division.

So, an unnecessary information here but during WW1, it was part of the 31st Division, then became part of the 30th Division, then 8th in WW2, then 48th Division, 48th Armored Division, then 30th Division again, then 48th Brigade then 48th as part of the 24th Div then back to just the 48th.

I think you left out NOT in "It was part of the 8 INF DIV in Europe during the Korean War" atb :D

Agree then (apart from it being a 8th Div Korean War used one) with Baron, in that a late-ish 40s/1950s one used by a soldier of the Headquarters Company 1st Battalion 121st Inf Georgia National Guard, 48th Infantry Division. It would have to be one used however in the 1946-1955 time frame, November 1955 is the date the 48th Infantry Division was inactivated and reorganized as the 48th Armored Division, with the old Grey Bonnet Regiment being broken up, one unit retained the 121st's number, it being now called the 121st Armored Infantry Battalion, thus written abbreviated on any gear would be 121st AIB, or 121 AIB.

Yes I did. Thanks for the correction.

Yep, sorry, didn't have a 121st history in front of me at the time I wrote the oringal post....8th WAS in Germany at the time this was used, just 121st had moved out of the Div by then.

Sometimes the best way to get a complete 1944 pack system is to find these modified and incomplete ones for cheap, and assemble a "franken pack" with the components....I was able to make a set like that for around $70 vs. $150+ for originals.....all you need is patience and a buddy with aheavy duty sewing machine.

In the UK during the 60's it has been known for surplus dealers to buy a load of gear, which has then been modified to make it more appealing/ useful to the general public. Loads of WW2 M1VA1 gas mask cases had waist straps removed, shoulder strap orientation moved and pack shape slightly altered to make snap bags so that the three popper flap was at the top rather than the side. I have a mint example of this which I shall dig out and post an image next to an unaltered original.

I bought a M1945 pack in 1967 from " Wakefields" an outdooor/camping retailer, but you couldn't really use it without the proper suspenders. So I would have had to get british M1937 pack straps to make it usable.The shop actually sold me some coarse horsehair type straps that I believe were French to make do until I found the M1945 suspenders later.

http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_gasmask_m2.php

.8th WAS in Germany at the time this was used, just 121st had moved out of the Div by then.

When would this have been used? The 121st was with the 8th until 5 July 1946.

When would this have been used? The 121st was with the 8th until 5 July 1946.

121st Infantry was inactivated at Ft Leonard Wood 20 October 1945, it left Germany around the 9-7-8 or so of July, it was assigned to the 48th Infantry Division 5 July 1946, believe this to be a preliminary assignment, as the 121st Infantry was reorganized and federally recognized 12 December 1946.

Your right Bob, we always think post war when we see something like this, the 1945 date etc, myself especially. But at any rate though I could be wrong, is that my gut feeling is, that allowing for the window of opportunity of the five months from V-E Day to inactivation, an issue to this GI, and with out some other thing, like a name, which could help in IDing the time period of the item, it very well might be is a post war issue.