Medal of Honor Ribbon Bar--Charles D. Barger

grokett

Joe,

Any questions you have that I am capable of answering concerning that time frame and the 89th, I will gladly help answer to the best of my knowledge. I too share ancestors who were there, and consider myself a student of their sacrifice and experience.

The bantheville days have interested me as well, since my great grandfather was also gassed there. I believe that the most telling fact about their experience I know of is that when reserve battalions were preparing to step off on their final drive to the Meuse they relieved those on the front lines early, having watched them suffer for two weeks.

-Spencer

Hi Spencer,

What regiment was your great-grandfather in? Most of the information I've discovered regarding the 89th Division between October 19-31, 1918, centers on the 353rd, and information on the 354th is hit-and-miss, particularly when trying to pinpoint what each battalion was doing. My cousin Charlie was in Company L, 3rd Battalion, 354th Infantry Regiment, which was the support battalion during that time. The 2nd Battalion held the front line and the 1st Battalion was held in reserve. After the 354th was attacked on the night of 24-25 October, Colonel Babcock, the regimental commander, placed the 2nd Battalion in reserve and the 1st Battalion on the front line. The 2nd Battalion remained in the support position, but was moved south of the Romagne-Sommerance Road.

I know Charlie went out on nightly patrols throughout that time, but I am a little confused as to what the support battalion's mission was. I also know that his platoon was sent to relieve Company C on October 28, which, as I understand it, was in reserve with the 1st Battalion in Gesnes. Why would a platoon in a support position relieve a company in reserve? A lot doesn't add up in my mind.

What do you think?

Thank you,

Joe

Joe,

I believe this information was especially muddled in the minds of the men who were there. Many companies were detached from the normal battle order and used as "liason" units to fill gaps in the formation, between battalions and even divisions. Keep in mind that going into Bantheville, command send orders that terms like "all shot too pieces" and the like were no longer to be reported from company commanders. Many companies were well below 60 percent battle strength, even after taking replacements. By this point the division was really doing whatever it could with the men it had. I think I can be out more help but I may have to dig into my smaller unit histories and maps, which are well protected, but not filed in any sensible order.

My great grandfather Morris Hewitt served in D Co, 353rd. I have amassed research material from all regiments, though.

-Spencer

According to "McGrath,War Diary of the 354th Inf." On the 30th Barger and Funk donned medic's red cross brassards during efforts to rescue men in no man's land. I don't know what accounts Joe cites, but this may explain the story of enemy machine gunners not firing, and given Barger time to tell them that he "would be back for them."

Thank you KySoldier for your kind words!

Spencer, I hope you don't mind me PMing you. Charlie tossed Jess Funk a Ref Cross brassard before they started out across the open field, but that didn't keep the Germans from firing on them. I have a very detailed account of what occurred during their Medal of Honor action, to include Charlie and Jess discussing what happened afterwards. I really appreciate all your help with this!

Joe

• 4 months later...

Is it possible to get copies of his Meritorius Service Citations that authorized his Purple Hearts. I tried the NPRC in St. Louis but they were not in his file. Interestingly he ties Lieutanant Colonel William G. White, U.S. Army Reserve for the record of receiving the most Purple Hearts.

Eric

• 3 years later...

I want to thank Eric for questioning Charlie's entitlement to the Purple Hearts, as it inspired me to personally verify each one of his awards and decorations. It was important to me that a complete and accurate listing be generated for a book I wrote on Charlie's life.

There were books, magazines and newspaper articles from which a tentative list could be generated, but official proof in the form of citations, certificates and order numbers were needed to establish unmitigated verification. The most controversial of Charlie’s alleged entitlements was ten (10) Purple Hearts.

It is a matter of record that Charlie was never officially wounded during World War I, but sometime since Charlie’s death it was said that General John J. Pershing awarded him ten Meritorious Service Citation Certificates. After the Purple Heart medal was created in February 1932, Charlie purportedly relinquished his Meritorious Service Citation Certificates for the medal, with the appropriate oak leaf clusters devices. Joe Barger, his grandson, understood that the Meritorious Service Citation Certificates were the result of his grandfather’s voluntary participation during combat raids and patrols in which Chauchat gunners were needed.

Eric, who has been a longtime friend, contacted Fred Borch, President of the Orders and Medals Society of America. Mr. Borch discovered four Adjutant General’s Office (AGO) award cards at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, Missouri, wherein most of Charlie’s decorations were listed. Missing from these cards were the following decorations to which Charlie was believed to be entitled: (1) the Order of Leopold I, Belgium; (2) the Croix de Guerre with Palm, Belgium; (3) the Military Medal, Great Britain; (4) three of Charlie’s four Croix de Guerres from France; and (5) the ten Meritorious Service Citation Certificates.

Mr. Borch, an undisputed expert on the Purple Heart, stated that had Charlie received 10 Meritorious Service Citation Certificates/Purple Hearts, there would have been at least a few AGO award cards in the files indicating these awards. do not believe that Barger ever got any MSCCs,” writes Borch. “He certainly did not get any Purple Hearts.” He adds: “Not certain where you got your information that he had 10 MSCCs--seems totally unlikely to me and the AGO award cards support that unlikelihood!”

It did not go unnoticed that several decorations to which Charlie was known to have been entitled were absent from the AGO award cards, so some question remained, even though Mr. Borch’s declaration held much weight. Finally, in January 2017, a source was discovered that definitively settled the matter. “The Gleim Medal Letters,” published by the Orders and Medals Society of America, catalogues 27 years of research by Colonel Albert F. Gleim, probably the foremost authority on America’s early awards and decorations.

One section of Gleim’s research deals specifically with Meritorious Service Citation Certificates, going into detail regarding distribution of these certificates (i.e., the American Divisions that received the certificates, and the totals awarded to each Division). Per Gleim’s research, there were 4119 Meritorious Service Citation Certificates distributed during and immediately after WWI. “These certificates,” writes Gleim, “issued by HQ, AEF with a Pershing signature were apparently an attempt to provide recognition for those members of the AEF in administration, staff and support roles and whose performance did not merit the award of the DSM and/or a valor decoration or gallantry citation.”

On April 24, 1920, the War Department Statistics Branch, using information obtained from the AEF Adjutant General’s Office Decoration Section, published in Weekly Statistical Report No. 139, the following allotment of Meritorious Service Citation Certificates awarded to the 89th Division: 7 to officers and 3 to enlisted men. Gleim states: “This is probably very close to a complete tabulation since the GHQ, AEF was disbanded shortly thereafter.” Nine out of ten of those officers and enlisted men are specifically named in the History of the 89th Division, U.S.A., by Lt. Col. George H. English, Jr. Charlie is not among them. That matter was settled.

Gleim’s research also delved into foreign decorations earned by Americans during, and immediately following, World War I. For example, he provides a list of recipients of the Order of Leopold I, from a book entitled, Memorial du Centenaire de l’Ordre de Leopold 1832-1932. Every American recipient of the Order of Leopold I up to 1932 is depicted on this list, but, again, Charlie is not named.

When this information was presented to Charlie’s grandson, Joe Barger, he responded: “While it is disappointing to find this out, it does not diminish Charlie’s heroism in our eyes. It is better to be accurate than to put more on him than he was entitled to.”

That said, I will delineate for those interested in Charlie his official awards and decorations, which have been verified through various sources.

post-20590-0-11485100-1548718921_thumb.jpg

Medal of Honor

Date and Place of Action: Near Bois de Bantheville, France, 31 October 1918

Authority: General Order No. 20, War Department, 1919

Presentation: General John J. Pershing in Chaumont, France, on February 9, 1919

Citation: Learning that 2 daylight patrols had been caught out in No Man's Land and were unable to return, Pfc. Barger and another stretcher bearer upon their own initiative made 2 trips 500 yards beyond our lines, under constant machinegun fire, and rescued 2 wounded officers.

post-20590-0-37854100-1548719126.jpg

World War I Victory Medal

Criteria for Award: For service between 6 April 1917 and 11 November 1918 or with either of the following expeditions: (1) American Expeditionary Forces in European Russia between 12 November 1918 and 5 August 1919; or (2) American Expeditionary Forces Siberia between 23 November 1918 and 1 April 1920.

Barger’s Eligibility: For service in the armed forces between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918.

Battle Clasps Earned by Barger:

o St. Mihiel (September 12 to 16, 1918)

o Meuse-Argonne (October 14 to November 11, 1918)

o Defensive Sector (for participation in the Lorraine Sector, which included the Lucey Sector, August 4 to September 11, 1918, and the Euvezin Sector, September 17 to October 7, 1918).

Authorized by: War Department General Order 48, 1919.

post-20590-0-48149100-1548719226_thumb.jpg

Army of Occupation Medal, WWI

Criteria for Award: For service in Germany or Austria-Hungary between 12 November 1918 and 11 July 1923

Barger’s Eligibility: For service with the occupation forces in Germany between December 7, 1918 and May 5, 1919.

Authorized by: Act of Congress 21 November 1941, (55 Stat 781).

post-20590-0-48095300-1548719300.jpg

Medaille Militaire, France

Authority: French Presidential Decree, 5 May 1919

Presentation: Vice Admiral F.P. Moreau, Brest, France, 14 May 1919

Citation: In the name of the President of the Republic, The Grand Chancellor of the National Order of the Legion of Honor issued this document to Mr. Berger, Charles, of the American Army, Serial Number 2,205,271, --Private 1st Class in Company “L” of the 354th Infantry Regiment, decorated with the Military Medal by decree of 5 May 1919. Paris, the 5 May 1919. Seen, verified, sealed and stored, No. 4.954.

Reason: In honor of the rescue work performed on October 31, 1918.

post-20590-0-27107700-1548719366.jpg

Croix de Guerre with Bronze Palm, WWI, France

(First Award)

Date and Place of Action: Near Bouillonville, France, 12 September 1918

Authority: Unknown

Presentation: Marshal Ferdinand Foch before February 6, 1919.

Citation: Citation at the Army Level. Private First Class Barger, Charles, of the 354th Infantry Regiment, American, Co. “L”, Serial No. 2,205,271. For an act of bravery while on the St. Mihiel front September 12, 1918. While Private Barger was out with a raiding party one of the members of the party became lost from the rest of the party. The call was made for volunteers to go far under fire of the enemy to seek the missing men. Private Barger alone volunteered to undertake the task, and ran into machine gun fire. He located the position of the German guns and opened fire with a sawed-off shotgun, wounding three and capturing five men and two guns, besides rescuing the mission member of his Company from the German machine gun Company.

(Second Award)

Authority: Order No. 16.043 “D”, 13 Apr 1919.

Citation: Citation at the Army Level. Private First Class Barger, Charles, of the 354th Infantry Regiment, American, Co. “L”, Serial No. 2,205,271. Soldier of admirable courage and dedication, has on October 31st, 1918, on learning that two day patrols were caught between American and German trenches, with the help of a soldier and under violent machinegun-fire, on his own initiative succeeded in bringing back two officers to our lines.

post-20590-0-02838100-1548719508.jpg

(Third Award)

Date and Place of Action: Near Bois de Bantheville, France, 1 November 1918

Authority: Order No. 16.043 “D”, 13 Apr 1919.

Citation: Citation at the Army Level. Private First Class Barger, Charles, of the 354th Infantry Regiment, American, Co. “L”, Serial No. 2,205,271. In recognition of an act of bravery on the Meuse-Argonne front on November 1, 1918, in which Private Barger’s company was held up by German machine gun fire. Private Barger and another soldier crawled around the German machine gun nest and opened fire from the rear with an automatic rifle, advancing as they fired, and capturing the entire crews and guns of the nest, consisting of 12 men and six guns.

Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star, WWI, France

(Fourth Award)

Date and Place of Action: Near Barricourt, France, 2 November 1918

Authority: Order number and date unknown.

Presentation: No formal Presentation. Received via registered mail in Stotts City, Missouri, 29 Jul 1919.

Synopsis: Citation at the Regiment Level. Private First Class Barger, Charles, of the 354th Infantry Regiment, American, Co. “L”, Serial No. 2,205,271. In recognition of an act of bravery on the Meuse-Argonne front on November 2, 1918, in which Private Barger defended a group from another regiment by singlehandedly fighting off repeated enemy attacks. His actions prevented the regiment from annihilation and allowed them to establish a stronghold in which they could thereafter defend themselves.

post-20590-0-87616200-1548719615.jpg

Silver Medal for Bravery, Montenegro

Authority: Order Number 311, dated 31 May 1919.

Presentation: No known formal presentation.

Citation: By the Grace of God, His Majesty, NIKOLAS I, King and Sovereign of Montenegro, Is please to confer upon Barger, Charles D., Private First Class, for military service in the War of 1914-1918, Silver medal for "Bravery".

post-20590-0-35779700-1548719683.jpg

Croix de Guerre with Bronze Palm, WWI, Belgium

Authority: Order number and date unknown.

Presentation: King Albert of Belgium, St. Louis, MO, 21 Oct 1919.

Citation: In honor of the rescue work performed on October 31, 1918.

post-20590-0-14562400-1548719884_thumb.jpg

Military Medal, Great Britain

Authority: British War Office Bulletin WO/338, 1919.

Presentation: No formal presentation. Received via registered mail, winter 1919.

Citation: The following are among the decorations and medals awarded by command of His Majesty the KING at various dates to subjects of Allied Powers for distinguished services rendered during the course of the campaign: -- To be awarded the Military Medal (M.M.). 2205271 Private, 1st Class, Charles D. Barger, “L” Company, 354th Regiment.

post-20590-0-56165700-1548719950.jpg

Croce Merito di Guerra, WWI, Italy

Authority: Given the Royal Decree 19 January 1918, No. 205, January 19, 1918, and by the Chief of Staff, Italian Army, on December 9, 1921. Order Number of the Register of concessions 89484.

Presentation: Received via registered mail on February 9, 1922, Kansas City, Missouri.

Citation: Royal Italian Army, The Minister of War, Given the Royal Decree 19 January 1918, No. 205, Determines and grants Charles D. Barger, private 1st Class, Co. L., 354th Infantry, 89th Division, The Cross of Merit of War, Washington, D.C., on 9 December 1921.

post-20590-0-32872800-1548720039.jpg

War with Germany Medal, WWI, Missouri

Criteria for Award: For service in the Armed Forces of the United States during the war with Germany, 1917-1918.

Authority: House Bill No. 349, 50th General Assembly of the State of Missouri, February 14, 1919.

Presentation: No known formal presentation. Received in June 1919.

Citation: In compliance with an Act of the General Assembly and on behalf of the State of Missouri, I have the honor to present you with this Medal which has been awarded you in recognition of your service as a citizen of this State in the armed forces of the United States during the war with Germany. It is intended to be to you and your posterity a token of the everlasting gratitude and appreciation of your State. Harvey C. Clark, Adjutant General.

post-20590-0-10997700-1548720102.jpg

Expert Rifleman Badge

Qualification Dates:

Ø May 1918, Camp Funston, Kansas

Ø Jan 1921, Camp Pike, Arkansas

Authority: Small Arms Firing Manual, Section 246

Presentation: No formal presentation.

Citation: Not applicable.

Note: Although the Expert Rifleman Badge during World War I and up to July 1921 appears to be the Marine Corps version of the Expert Marksmanship Badge, they are different, i.e., the absence of shoulder slings on the Army version; the phrase, “Expert Rifleman”; and, the decorative ends on the suspension bar. During World War I, Regular Army troops received the silver oxide version, while National Army and National Guard troops received the brass version.

post-20590-0-31177800-1548720236.jpg

I know about three of the incidents where he earned the Purple Heart. All of them were for heroism in action, not for wounds, even though he was gassed in October 1918. Here is what I know:

Glad to read this, because the first thought that crossed my mind was that the man wasn't very good at getting out of the way!

That was my first thought when I learned he earned 10 Purple Hearts! I'll tell you, trying to verify something that didn't exist was rough and it dispels a myth that has been circulating for years. Talking to my Cousin Joe, we have no idea who started the rumor, but it amazes me how a story gets out of control! Several books, magazines and newspaper articles printed this information and no one took the time to question or verify it. Well, I didn't question it for some time, so I guess I didn't help, either. But this list IS accurate. Charlie was a great hero and no one needed to embellish his awards and decorations in an effort to make him more of a hero. Just my thoughts... :)

Excellent update and research! One thing caught my eye: "He located the position of the German guns and opened fire with a SAWED-OFF SHOTGUN, wounding three and capturing five men and two guns," Interesting!

Thanks!

BKW

Hi Brian,

The 89th Division was just getting shotguns into their inventory around the time the St. Mihiel Offensive began. The 89th was known as the fighting farmers and most troops were very familiar with them. The Germans were terrified of them and said they would execute any soldier caught using one. I'm not sure if other units used shotguns during the war, but I imagine they did.

Thank you for the kind words and I appreciate your interest in Charlie!

Joe